Unbuntu Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by waltaja, Jul 29, 2005.

1. waltaja

waltaja Private First Class

Does anyone use this? Or has anyone ever witnessed it in use? I have heard lots of good things about it myself and was just curious as to what everyone thought about it?

Any advantages over XP (what i'm currently running)?
    Any disadvantages (problems with internet, etc etc)?

Thanks

waltaja

2. waltaja

Re: Ubuntu Linux

I think I should also add, I'm not terribly computer savvy. I am trying to learn however (my theory now, Hell I can always reinstall XP). What I would also like to know is, does Linux suffer from any sort of security issues being an "Open Source" program (not to sure what it means really.)

And is this Unbuntu version, compatible with most hardware, drivers and the whatnot?

Once again many thanks for any replies

waltaja

and if it helps, my specs are: Windows XP Home SP2 all updates, 2.66 ghz P4, 256mb RAM. All on a Dell Dimension 2400 (I know, I know Yuck) plans for trying to build my own computer are in the works though. I need something with more oompf

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Linux is like any other OS it is only as secure as you make it. No Linux Disro out of the box is 'Secure', you have to harden the system just like you have to harden Windows.

Now with that said, Linux is a very stable environment. Linux is also not susceptible to the pitfalls of Windows. Most virus applications are written for windows and will not execute on Linux. There are a few Linux viruses in the 'Wild'; however most can only execute on older unpatched Linux kernals.

Linux is not for those who are not 'computer savvy'; you need to know something about computers and operating systems to use Linux efficiently. Windows applications will not run on Linux. By installing the WINE API on a Linux system you can run some Windows applications.

Unbuntu Linux gets very good reviews. I do not personally use this distribution. I have Fedora Core installed on one system. If you want to play around with Linux without installing it on your hard drive give Knoppix 'Live CD' a spin. Knoppix 3.9 is the latest version available it comes in both German (DE) and English (EN) the file is an ISO and you will have to create an CD from the image. The image file you want is
    KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso

4. waltaja

My next question then is, would you make a smaller partion for linux and run it like a dual boot or rid of XP altogether? Or would that be more of a personal preference?

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Yes, you can dual boot Linux. The procedure can get complicated but it shouldn't present too many problems.

6. waltaja

That's the information I was after. Thank you very much for your responses

waltaja

7. Shadow_Puter_Dude

When you are ready I can post some instructions on how to setup a system for dual booting Windows/Linux.

8. waltaja

Thank you. it will probably be a good week or so befire i get around to it. Lots of other things going on this week/weekend. I do appreciate your help though. many thanks

waltaja

9. ThrobbingBrain66

ThrobbingBrain66 Private E-2

I set up Ubuntu on my computer as a dual-boot with XP. However, installing applications on Ubuntu has me confused. I believe I have them installed correctly, but no icon shows up anywhere so I don't know how to get the apps running. Am I missing something becaues my brain is stuck in Windows mode?

So far in my playing around I've tried to install Avast! and Adobe Acrobat.

10. waltaja

most programs either will show up in the menu, or will be ran from the command line.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds