Under-reporting Hard Drive Capacity...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jungalist, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Jungalist

Jungalist Private E-2

I recently bought a couple of drives from ebay, a 20 gig and a 40 gig. When I hooked the first one up as a secondary drive on a Windows system, the drive was reported as having 494 meg capacity. Grrr.

So I hooked up the other drive and lo and behold, it reported as being 494megs as well! I hooked then up by themselves and when booting (with no OS) they reported their proper sizes.

I tried formatting, I can't see any partitions (via Windows explorer), what the heck is going on here? Any tips will be appreciated.

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

what are your specs and operating system?

3. Jungalist

Jungalist Private E-2

Well, the computer in question is a

Celeron 1.1ghz
    512 megs RAM
    Windows Server 2003 installed on a 10gig WD Hard drive

I also tried mapping the drive to my Win XP machine through the network, just to see if it would tell me anything different, or if I could somehow diagnose a setting that was causing this, but it was the same.

The drives are a Samsung SP4002H (40 gig) and a Seagate ST320011A (20 gig), both of which are showing up as 494megs. When I disconnected the drive containg my OS, and let the computer boot up with just the blank drive, the start-up screen correctly reported the drive size. I didn't do that with both drives, since I basically got the information that I was going for after testing one. I am figuring that this must, therefore, have something to do with windows, rather than the computer itself (IE BIOS or some such)

4. Jungalist

Jungalist Private E-2

Additional: I checked in the BIOS setup and the drive sizes are being correctly reported there as well.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

IF you goto Disk Management component of Computer Managment what is reported size for the drives, also is their any highlighted unallocated space?

6. Jungalist

Jungalist Private E-2

Aha! Thank-you! You have solved my problem. When I used the utility that you suggested, I could see that there was indeed a partition with no drive letter assigned to it on the drive. I simply have added a drive letter and now I can access it. I assume that the other drive will have the same issue and will test it tonight when i get home from work.

Thank-you both for your help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds