underclocking my processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peiper, Sep 29, 2007.

1. peiper

peiper Private E-2

so i have a dell inspiron 5100 laptop that's about 4 years old. it has an intel pentium 4 processor set to 2.4ghz. the problem is that the processor overheats when i try to play a game that i played a couple years ago without any problems. it's an older, non-resource intensive program. hell, it even gets a little hot when i play alot of shit off of youtube.

i have the idea that if you can overclock a processor, you can underclock it too. i don't need 2.4ghz of processing power, and if it keeps up like this it's going to fry anyways so i don't have alot to lose. i've searched for a couple hours now online about any way whatsoever to underclock it. i found programs that are supposed to work, but they either don't, or i have no clue how to use them and think that i probably shouldn't without instruction. (one in particular called CPU FSB).

my bios doesn't have an option to over or underclock either.

does anybody have any idea about anything i can do? i don't want ways to cool it manually because i don't have any money and i'd just rather underclock it anyways. i know it can be done, however i'm a terrible geek and have no clue how.

help!

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Welcome to majorgeeks.
    I would , personally not recommend altering cpu fsb, without any knowledge, of how it works.
    It sounds like the computer needs a clean, inside.When dust, and fluff build up , especially in the cpu heatsink, the temperatures will go up.
    If you have not cleaned it, lately, and you are confident to take the side off- then allow computer to get cold, or, do it before first using your computer. Unplug from the mains plug, as todays computers still have power going through them, even when switched off. Get a can of compressed air , and blow out the heatsink of the cpu, take your time, and keep the compressed aircan upright, so as not to get too much moisture from the aerosol, and then all around the motherboard, and cable connections- do not remove, or, touch anything inside, without wearing a static strap, so as not to damage the contents by static discharge.
    Then replace the side, and the power plug.
    Give it a few minutes to ensure no moisture has remained inside, before switching on.
    Come back, if you need more help.;)

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

It's a laptop, baklogic. :D

Other than that, check to see if inlet and exhaust ports are clear of dust will help.

Elevating the laptop, if the inlet or exhausts are UNDER the case might help.

Also ensure that nothing is placed near either port, as reducing the flows of cold air oin, or hot air out, can bump up temps. Bazza

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I will have to some new glasses:eek:
    As bigbazza says - laptop :duck
    Follow his lead, my apologies - I hope it never got you in a frazzle - if you know little about its workings, only do as bigbazza says, as going any further is difficult, unless you have some experience.

5. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

And always place the laptop on a hard surface cos if you place it on your legs,you will close the exaust for hot air.

6. peiper

peiper Private E-2

thanks for the advice guys.

so i pretty much figured out i can't underclock this processor.

i'm afraid to open this thing. i'm not computer-illiterate, but i'm most definately laptop illiterate. i even have a friend who had a job working on computers for a living who would do anything for his friends' computers except open a laptop. he refused, saying it was too hard to ensure he didn't mess anything up, and i guess that just scared me away from it.

the exhaust ports look clear as far as i can tell. i know there's fuzz and stuff in there, however.

i'm probably just going to have to save up and get one of those laptop pads with the fans in it to constantly blow air on the bottom of the laptop. it overheats on flat surfaces as well... i pretty much have to prop it on my left leg so the fan port (which is on the bottom) is 100% clear of obstructions for air flow.

7. bigbazza

Get a computer desk, wireless keyboard and mouse and your laptop experience will be a lot better.

As mentioned in earlier posts, make sure you don't use the laptop on a soft surface like a blanket, or whatever, as inlet and exhaust ports may be blocked. these ports vary in where that are on your particular brand of laptop.

In my Toshiba Tecra A7, the exhaust is in the centre of the left hand side. Right next to where I had my Router/ Modem standing. :eek: Had to move the Router/ Modem away (forward) from the exhaust for better cooling. Bazza

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

This is something you don't think about, but your laptop is a mini desktop, :D and its so much easier, and quicker with a mouse, at least. Just a little table, (or computer desk) help to keep it cool, and stops more dust, and fluff getting into those ports.

9. bigbazza

Agree entirely. Nowadays, with the latest laptops they are almost as powerful as desktops. I love the option of being able to take it with you, if you want to. Or setting it up as a desktop, with desk, wireless mouse and keyboard. Great. This is my 4th "laptop", going back to Tandy 4P. :D
    I've also had lots of desktops over the years, but prefer laptops for my degree of use. Bazza
    ===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds