Unexpected issue with Gears

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, May 8, 2011.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I use Gmail's offline feature - Gears - but was a bit taken aback after I needed to revert to a system image about a week old to find that all my Gmail calendar entries made since the image had disappeared. Seems the server syncs with the offline version - not the other way around, so be warned. Probably the same with Firefox when using Gears. :-o

2. Earthling

I may have put the wrong interpretation on what happened here, as I had not noticed that the Gears icon was missing in Google Calendar after restoring the image, so I wasn't seeing a synchronized calendar, just the week-old offline version. Seems that when you revert to an earlier state Gears has to be reinstalled in the browser. Just running another test now to confirm that that is all that is required to recover the up-to-date state.

3. Earthling

OK, test confirmed that re-installing Gears is all that is required after an image restoration. Hope I didn't mislead anyone :-o

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

OMG!!!

Because you misled me, my computer crashes, I've missed two appointments already, and my truck won't shift out of first gear. Waaaa!!!

Nah - j/k, Earthling. That's good info - I don't use Gears myself, but I've got a couple of clients who do, so thanks for the heads up. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds