unexpected PC shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cheboi, Jun 29, 2005.

1. cheboi

cheboi Private E-2

I have a PC that keeps shutting down unexpectedly while am in the process of working without even warning. The pc runs on OS- MS Windows XP proffesional vers 2002 sp2. It is really becoming a nuisance.
    I have tried formating the disk & reinstall all programs, but the problem persists.
    What could be causing this & how can i rectify this?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

you get no warnings or error messages?

does this happen in Safe Mode?

one main option for a PC just shutting down without warning is high temperatures, do you know what temps your CPU & Motherboard are at?

if you dont have temperature monitoring software then you can if your motherboard supports it look in the BIOS or download EVEREST ( Free ) and once installed click on Computer > Sensor and it will geive you temp readings.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Also, the computer could be BSOD all this time. On default automatically restart is set.

It is either a heat issue or a memory issue.

I'd right click on my computer, select properties (or windows key + pause/break key).

Select advanced tab, under startup and recovery select settings.

Uncheck "Automatically restart". Hit okay, then Okay.

Now, "hopefully", when the computer restarts...wait I just noticed you said the computer shuts down.

In your bios, you should have some settings for shut down of you machine when the CPU or system gets to a certain temperature. Knowing what you cpu is will give us what the typical operating temperatures for your computer, then setting a higher number in the bios should prevent this problem.

4. cheboi

cheboi Private E-2

I had tried the first option thinking it was an OS issue, but this didn't solve the problem.
    The computer doesn't shutdown, but it re-starts, sorry for the confusion caused.

5. cheboi

cheboi Private E-2

What is the recommended temperature settings? Below are my sensor readings;
    Temperatures;
    Motherboard-56 degrees centigrade
    Aux- 43 degress centigrade
    Cooling Fans
    CPU - 5819 RPM
    Voltage Values
    CPU core - 1.65V
    +2.5v - 2.45v
    +3.3v -3.26v
    +5v - 5.00v
    +12v -11.8v
    +5v standby - 4.92v
    VBAT battery -3.55v

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

those temps do seem a little high,

where you live is the temp hot or the ambient room temp hot?

try taking the side off, not really a positive fix but may help to see if lowering the temps help.

Do you have any other fans in the case apart from CPU and PSU ones? on that note does your case have any spaces for more fans? whats needed is a fan at the front bottom of the case to pull air in.

Tidying up the cables helps to improve air flow.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds