unexpected shutdown

Discussion in 'Software' started by BILLMCC66, Mar 20, 2010.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I am running windows 7 ultimate and in the past week when the PC was unattended it has shutdown on it's own.(3 times now)
    When i restart the PC i get the message "windows has experienced an unexpected shutdown" so i click the search for a solution and it does not find any fault, and when i restart my virtual pc to continue folding it erases the work unit and starts from zero again so i loose all the work it has done.

Any ideas please what could be causing this.

P.S. i do not know how long it runs before shutting down but it never does it when i am here.

The settings are never sleep and do not load updates without first asking.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You say virtual pc, so is this the Release Candidate?

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

No, I have VM workstation running within windows 7 just for folding purposes but of course when windows shuts down it takes the virtual PC as well.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have been trying to figure this out and got as far as this but i do not understand it.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa800ebe4160, 0xfffff8800ffee230, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 032010-19063-01.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Every BSoD creates a dump file, and you have to use a MS free utility called windbg to read them. It's a bit of a hassle but usually pinpoints the cause.

This article explains it all

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds