"Unidentified Network" on Win7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hysoak, Jan 27, 2011.

1. hysoak

hysoak Private E-2

I can connect to the internet when I plug it directly on my DSL modem but on Router i get "Unidentified Network" on my windows 7. I got no problem on my other PC that runs XP but this notebook seems bothersome, please help :(

Other Info:

Router - Wired

Network adapter: Jmicron

When i use the diagnosis this also appear: "Local Area Network" doesn't have valid IP configuration

Is there a possibility that my router isn't supported on Windows 7?

Thanks!

2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Private E-2

If you open network and connection sharing either from clicking on the network icon in the system tray aka notification area or from the control panel then click on manage adapter settings > from there right click on your local area connection > then click properties > highlight internet protocol v4 and click properties > from there do you have obtain ip address automatically and obtain DNS automatically selected or are there ip addresses hard coded? I'm guessing the router is doing DHCP so obtain automatically should be selected.

Close out of that. while you are in network connections you could try disabling the connection and then re-enabling - also done from the menu you get when right clicking on the Local area connection icon.

3. hysoak

hysoak Private E-2

Done that, under IPv4, it's all automatic and DHCP is enabled

I even tried making the IP static but failed, so i reset it back to automatic.

I tried disabling and enabling LAN and I also do power cycling but no luck, still giving "unidentified network".

My other computer (XP) works fine but not this notebook (win7) :(

4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Private E-2

Is it giving you a 169.254.x.x ip address? Just in case you aren't sure how to check >>You can see this by right clicking on the LAN connection and going to status then details or by doing an ipconfig /all from the command line.

Are you running any kind of firewall like Mcafee or any other kind of security software? Disable any firewalls (including windows firewall) or security software and see if you can connect.

5. hysoak

hysoak Private E-2

Yeah the ip is 169.x.x.x and I turned off the firewall too, and I only use avira anti-vir. Still "unidentified network".

6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Private E-2

what type of router are you using? Just to make sure we aren't missing something obvious do you have a green light on the nic for the win7 box and the port on the router?

Is IPv6 installed on the adapter? If so try uninstalling it. If not you might as well try installing it. :)

7. hysoak

hysoak Private E-2

errr It's a cheap router, i doubt that you heard it but the router is made by Taifa tech taiwan :p

IPv6, yes it's installed and I also un-check it but the problem still persist

It's green light, no problem with the connection, it just that, I'm wondering if there's a thing that a router is not compatible to win7?

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Can you connect if you hard wire to the modem directly?

9. hysoak

hysoak Private E-2

yes i can connect to the internet if i connect it to my DSL modem directly.

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

That should have given you a viable IP address. If you switch back to wired to the router, does it still not connect? If it doesn't, then you may have to get a "real" router such as a linksys. At least then you could connect wirelessly.

11. gosh1976

gosh1976 Private E-2

This shouldn't be possible. The whole point of using industry standard protocols like those found in the TCP/IP suite is so that there aren't compatibility issues. However, in the real world it is possible. For instance, with vista the OS changed a default value in the DHCP broadcast header that confused some routers. So, there could be something similar happening here.

12. hysoak

hysoak Private E-2

Oh well, I might do that :p thanks!

@gosh1976: hmm, so there's a possibility huh? alright, Thanks man! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds