Uninstall Adobe Reader 7.x

Discussion in 'Software' started by schreist, Jul 21, 2006.

1. schreist

schreist Private E-2

Hi,
    I grew tired with all the attempts by Adobe to update and install additional apps and tried to uninstall Adobe Reader 7.0.8

I used the Add/Delete in control panel (Windows XP Pro) w/SP2. I then ran a search for adobe and found a ton of folders and files for adobe reader and update manager.
    Back to control panel and found adobe update manager - and deleted it.

Search - shows all those folders still and a specific folder - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0

I see a bunch of dll files and a load of other folders inside this folder. But control panel add/delete doesn't show any adobe products in it's list.

Ok so I got a download a new adobe reader from adobe - AdbeRdr708_DLM_en_US.aom is the file that the adobe site asks me to download. I do this and find that my "windows cannot open this file" .aom???

So I go about trying to delet the folder Acrobat 7.0 and get message saying that there are protected dll files that cannot be removed. Here one of the messages - Cannnot delete pdfshell.dll: Access is denied. An earlier message said the same thing about a acroIE.dll file of some kind (not full file name)

!! help me get this crap off my computer!

I disabled everything in IE that would access Adobe. I don't even use IE unless theres a gun to my head. I use firefox.

All the documents that I have saved as PDF's have changed their icons to the default windows one. And do not open. I'm so confused.

Is there any way to get this Adobe Malware off my computer?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Two options to remove that folder that is left after you have uninstalled via Add/Remove are,

1. Boot to Safe Mode and delete the folder

2. use one of the below to delete the folder

MoveOnBoot this one, once you dragNdrop the file or browse for its location, deletes the file on reboot, so any applications that have locked the file are not running so cannot lock it before deletion.. my fav!​

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Adobe is not Malware, and my question is, how do you plan on opening .pdf files if you do not have Acrobat Reader on the computer? You have to have Adobe or another .pdf reader on the computer in order to look at them. Also, the 7.0.8 fixes potential security problems.

4. DavidGP

Missed that bit Brownizs.. correct Adobe is not Malware and you did choose to install it unlike malware.

but if you need to open PDF files and dont want Adobe then I have used this one http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4763 ( Foxit Reader Free )

5. schreist

schreist Private E-2

Hi and thanks for the replies. I know it's not really maleware:) , but one has to ask oneself.. if I choose to install something and change my mind, but removing it is like a herculean effort... it just naturally comes to mind that it's malicious that the developer would not provide an easy way to remove it from my computer. It says nothing upon install like: NOTE you have chosen to install Adobe Reader 7.0.8 this installation cannot be undone. Do you wish to continue? Yes/No - And Adobe reader certainly doesn't come with it's own uninstaller...

As for what I'll use after Adobe... um.. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ adobe is not the only way to view pdfs. Plus if I want to make pdf's without all the bloat and headache of Adobe I can use - http://www.cutepdf.com/

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I have never had any problems removing Acrobat from machines. Easy way is to boot into Safe mode, but if it will not remove, there is more afoot then just the software.

7. schreist

schreist Private E-2

So boot to safe mode and then delete all adobe folders? i.e. grab adobe folders and drag them to trash, then empty trash? or right click and select delete?

8. schreist

schreist Private E-2

Ok so I did the safe start and deleted everything adobe.... but there's still one file that will not delete and it is:

pdfshell.dll

located at the following path:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX

When I try to delete this little gem I get an access denied message.
    Ideas?

9. DavidGP

Yes did you try one of the apps I mentioed in this post earlier to remove that dll as access denied, will most likely mean that this file is in use by something else, http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=818799&postcount=2

10. schreist

schreist Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds