Uninstall/Duplicated Download Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jabinjax, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Jabinjax

Jabinjax Private E-2

Over the last couple of days I have been working with bjgarritt in the Spyware Forum to resolve a Browser Helper problem, which is now fixed. I have some residual problems from this process that I’d like to try to clean up.

I am running Windows 98 SE and have Norton Internet Security and Norton Antivirus 2004 installed and running on my PC.

When I first started chasing the Browser Helper problem several days ago I downloaded the Ad-Aware SE and Spybot Search and Destroy programs and installed them in C:\Program Files.
    Ad-Aware SE was installed to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft, and Spybot was installed in C:\Program Files\Spybot Search and Destroy.

I then found the MajorGeeks.com website and read their guidelines for pursuing security problems. The guidelines suggest setting up a new folder: C:\Spyware Tools and installing all of their recommended Spyware/Virus/Trojan Horse scan and removal programs into that folder. I created this folder on my C drive.

Then I got the bright idea that I didn’t need to redownload Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D again, I could just click and track the Lavasoft folder and the Spybot Search and Destroy folders from C:\Program Files to C:\Spyware Tools. That’s what I did.

When I moved the Lavasoft folder from C:\Program Files it was no longer at that location. I then downloaded and I think successfully applied an Ad-Aware VX2 Cleaner Plug In to Ad-Aware SE in the Spyware Tools\Lavasoft folder. Ad-Aware SE seems to be running o.k.

I also applied a Spybot Search and Destroy DSO Exploit fix to the Spybot program. However, I now have some residual files for Spybot in C:\Program Files\Spybot Search and Destroy (SpybotSD.exe., unins000.dat, unins000.exe) and I have what appears to be the full suite of the Spybot files in C:\Spyware Tools\Spybot Search and Destroy. Spybot used to run in about 10 – 15 minutes. Now when I run it it takes about 2 seconds and says I’m clean. I’m not sure it’s working correctly. I think what I’d like to do is to completely uninstall Spybot from both C:\Program Files and C:\Spyware Tools. I’m not sure how to do this as I’ve had problems in the past with uninstall programs not being able to find all the files to be deleted in the folders where they expect to find them. I'm concerned that just running uninstall won't find all the Spybot files which may cause problems when I try to redownload Spybot.

Can you tell me how to uninstall the Spybot software from the two folders? Then I will reinstall all the Spybot software.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds