Uninstall HP printer then reinstall different one

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbpathd1, May 21, 2010.

1. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

I’d like some advice from those who know more about wrangling with HP printers than I do.

I tried the usual Add/Remove Programs and I was left with a HP folder in C:/Program Files, a C:/temp/HP_Webrelease and a C:/Moved HP files. These were both HP files from the first installed HP Photosmart 2570 (which had been a successful installation) and failed installation files from HP PSC 1315 that I tried to install after the 2570 would no longer feed paper. I read through a bunch of older posts and it appears the 1315 installation failed because I had not gotten everything related to the 2570 off. Plus there’s a whole screen of Hewlett-Packard and HP registry entries under HKLM/Software when I run regedit.

I ran Revo Uninstaller (since I had seen it recommended here so many times) and it detected just HP Software Update and removed it. Did not touch any of those files I mentioned earlier or the registry entries. I then manually uninstalled all the HP files and ran CCleaner.

I then found the HP All-in-One Uninstall Utility and ran it through all 4 levels. It seemed to be getting rid of some things but I still have most of the registry entries I mentioned. Wondering if I’d gotten enough off to be able to reinstall the 1315, I looked through some more posts and found this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=150734. I also have registry entries like HKLM/System/ControlSet002/Enum/USB and HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Enum/USB.

So what do I do next? Manually remove all those HP-related registry entries?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Did you run the CCleaners registry tool a few times until nothing shows in the registry for removal as sometimes one old entry removed then opens up a few more for removal?

Check in Device Manager that any or all Printer drivers are uninstalled.

Check in this location C:\WINDOWS
    \system32\spool\DRIVERS for any HP driver folder and files and delete them.

Follow #7 at Bruces page HERE

But I wouldnt delete those keys as they HKLM/System/ControlSet002/Enum/USB likely are your USB ports, the others in HKLM/software that are linked to HP Printer can be deleted, but I would advise backing them up before deleting just in case, easy option is to right click the folder key in question and Export it.

3. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

Thanks for your reply, Halo.

I ran CCleaner Registry after I manually removed the files and it did remove several Missing Shared DLLs and a few Installer Reference Issues that were HP items. I also ran Revo Uninstaller Junk Files Cleaner but it found only .tmp files, not HP.

I ran CCleaner Registry after I ran the HP Uninstall Utility and it removed several more Misssing Shared DLLs that went with Digital Imaging/bin files and a few Missing MUI Reference entries. When I looked at the Registry though, I still have a full screen and a half of Hewlett-Packard and HP entries, so it looks as if little has been taken off.

I just ran CCleaner Registry again and there is nothing new there.

No printer-related items are showing in Device Mgr.

There was a color folder with 9 files, 6 of them HP. There was also a w32x86 folder containing two folders: a 3 folder (with several .dll and 5 .exe files) and a hpphotosmart_2570_sedc4a folder (with many .dll and 5 .exe files). At first I tried to delete all—but I got an error message upon trying to delete the color folder: “Cannot delete color: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.” I then realized I was being a bit hasty, and that not all the files belonged to HP. So I restored the 3 in color that did not look related to HP and left 20 non-HP files in folder 3. I deleted everything in hpphotosmart_2570_sedc4a folder.

While I was in that spool folder, I noticed that there were 3 other folders besides drivers. PRINTERS folder is empty, XPSEP folder has 6 files but none appears to be HP-related. The prtprocs folder has a w32x86 folder with 3 files and one of them is a HP dll. Should I delete that one dll too?

I deleted these subkeys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\HP Photosmart 2570 series
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\Microsoft Shared Fax Driver
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\Microsoft XPS Document Writer

I then ran CCleaner and CCleaner Registry. Just 6 Active XCOM Issues were there to remove. I rebooted and ran CCleaner again and there were no new registry items.

I still have all the HKLM\Software entries. How do I go about backing them up? I’ve never used the Export function here before. Where do I export them to?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds