Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++

Discussion in 'Software' started by Junebugsin, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Junebugsin

Junebugsin Private E-2

I have several (six actually) versions of Microsoft Visual on my Asus - Windows 7 computer and would like to uninstall any that I don't need. Any info whether I can uninstall some or all of the below would be appreciated.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - KB2467174 - x64 9.0.30729.5570
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - KB2467174 - x86 9.0.30729.5570

In case you need the info, I have:
    Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
    ASUS Notebook G60Vx series
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB
    64 bit operating system
    No pen or touch input device

Thanks bunches!

Junebugsin

2. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Certain versions of these are included in various software programs. I'm 99%$ sure if you uninstall any of them that are connected to a program that require it, the program will not work. I have 9 or 10 versions of it on my computer and I leave them be as I have no way of knowing which version goes with a certain program. They are rather small in size, so it's not like it's hogging drive space anyway.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Leave them alone.
    Some are 32 bit and some are 64 bit. I know Office needs some of those. Some might be fixes because I've gotten various patches and I always install the patches.

4. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Agree with solaris89 and plodr. In the future if you want to uninstall a program that added a Visual C, uninstall the program first, then the Visual C that came with it. Typically a program won't uninstall correctly if you've already nixed the Visual C. An example of a program that installs a Visual C 2008 Redistributable is avast! Antivirus on WinXP. Since you have six instances of Visual C it would be a tedious process to try and isolate them for removal. Good luck.

5. Junebugsin

Junebugsin Private E-2

Thanks guys! I'll take your advice and leave them be.

Junebugsin

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds