Uninstall Windows Search 4.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by thai_american_42, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

I think Windows Search 4.0 is making my life miserable by slowing down my computer in many areas. (It appears as a small magnifying glass indexing icon in the Windows notification area). Seriously, who in their right mind needs constant indexing in the off chance that they need to search their hard drive. I want to uninstall it via add or remove programs. I just started the process and received a scary message that many programs depend on Windows Search 4.0 and may no longer work if Windows Search 4.0 is uninstalled. I've tried finding the ramifications of uninstalling Windows Search 4.0, but could not. Will I be messing my computer up if I uninstall Windows Search 4.0?

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753989.aspx

I'm not saying go ahead and do it...just searched and found the above....do ask others their opinions on the matter

3. abdekker

abdekker Private E-2

I'm a professional software developer (ie. very experienced) so went ahead and uninstalled Windows Search 4.0, confident that I would be able to sort out problems if any occured.

Unfortunately, there is one consequence that has me stumped - Windows XP now takes much longer to complete booting up. It shows the desktop image, then hangs around for about 3-4 minutes.

I've tried the following:
    * Created a new Administrator account, set up all performance issues on this account (to make it fast), same problem;
    * Checked the HKCU\...\Run and HKLM\...\Run registry entries to ensure Windows Search wasn't still trying something;
    * Checked the Services to make sure everything looks good.

No joy. I think its probably best to NOT install this rubbish software - MS clearly didn't test uninstall before releasing it. I'm hoping that a later MS update will fix my problem.

Will post here again if I find whats causing the problem.

4. abdekker

abdekker Private E-2

Hi, I said I'd report back if I got it working, and I have:

* Right-click on C:\ and choose "Properties"
    * Windows Search 4.0 will have ticked "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching", untick this box and apply to all sub-folders (this can take a few minutes to complete)
    * Open up Services and disable the "Indexing Service" - there are no negative consequence to this, I always leave it disabled
    * Reboot computer.

Now Windows XP loads up and shows the Taskbar in a few seconds instead of waiting around for 3-4 minutes! Huzzah!

Classic search now works fine and if its slightly slower then the new-fangled way, its not much slower...and it at least works.

I have now hidden this ridiculous update so that hopefully it will never darken my door again. I'll also be checking updates MS wants to install more carefully in future so that this does not slip under the radar.

5. thebigh

thebigh Private E-2

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you open up Services?

6. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa Private E-2

Here's one way:

Start > Run > services.msc

7. Layceduptrax

Layceduptrax Private E-2

Go to "run" and Type in "msconfig". Then go to "Services" and down to "Indexing Service". BAAAAM you're done.:cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds