uninstalled norton 360 in vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by lmhjcr, Sep 5, 2008.

1. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Just a quick question about the uninstall of Norton 360 on a new Vista Home Premium with SP1 laptop. I never actually installed the Norton 360 on my new pc. It is/was one of the items that came pre-installed but needed to be activated to work and I never activated it. Instead I went to the section to remove it from the pc (programs and features) and selected to uninstall this program. Was this the proper way to do this.

I only ask because I have heard and read of those who have uninstalled Norton programs only to have problems afterwards because of bits of the Norton programs still scattered on their pc's.

Thanks!:wave

2. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Thank You Very Much!

I will download that and run it a few times (with a restart between each).

Thanks Again!:wave

3. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I ran the program 3 different times last night - making sure to restart the pc after each time it was run.

I did notice that in the C:/Program Data section of the pc there is a folder for Norton Installer as well as Napster and Wild Tangent - all 3 are things that I have uninstalled to date.

Any way to completely rid my pc of these items?

4. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

So I can just go to the program data folder and delete those folders - correct?

I thought about doing that but was concerned that there may still be bits of the programs in the registry and / or doing so might cause some other sort of problems.

Should I look anywhere else for remnants of these programs? I did uninstall the wild tangent games using the vista version of add/remove programs but there are still games listed in the start menu.

Thanks !

5. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

These are programs that I uninstalled. I just wanted to make sure that I would not cause any unforeseen problems by simply deleting those 3 folders.

I run the ccleaner program every day so that isn't a problem. You said to run registry scan - are you talking about the registry scan with ccleaner?

I did uninstall the trial software for Office Suite 2007 last night following the instructions from the MS site for uninstalling the software and then going and deleting other files and entries in the registry (I just could not find some of the entries that the instructions said to find and delete) I figured I would wait a day or two before installing Office Professional 2003 - just to be sure.

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds