uninstalled Norton AV, installed Zonealarm, network doesn't work !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richo, Mar 27, 2005.

1. richo

richo Private E-2

Used to have Nortons 2003, which was replaced yesterday by installing Zonealarm ( free version ), now my sons computer can no longer access the internet. Was working flawlessly until the change. We have a dialup connection.

Reason for the change was being infected with spyware/virus, which after a number of hours of work, with info provided on this site to fix was repaired . I've followed the "sticky" as best I can and have installed everything ( I think ) which was required to prevent or detect another attack.

Both machines are running Windows XP Home.
    my computer shows the link ( D-Link Air+ ) to be working fine, but feel the access is probably being denied by Zonealarm.
    Network Connections shows Wireless Network Enabled.
    The Zonealarm shows
    D Link airplus DVV and an address entry type internet
    WAN (PPP/SLIP)I and an address entry type internet
    Rays Lifeline an address with entry type IP Address

As a practising computer dummy, I don'y know what this means.
    My son is 12yo and well on my case to sort this out. I'd sure like to keep him happy, he's a good lad.

Hope this is enough to go on, if not, letme know, will try my best to provide requred info.
    Please explain anything to me really simply, I'm a newbie to these computers and sure struggle with all this stuff.
    Thanks
    cheers
    richo
    PS If I'm asking in the wrong forum, please redirect me.

2. richo

richo Private E-2

Think I'm at the root of the problem, have reset the Internet Zone Security to medium. This allows my son access to the net.
    Will ask in another forum ( software?, spayware/virus? ) on how this new move affects security.
    cheers
    richo

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds