Uninstalling Avast Antivirus Kills Internet.

Discussion in 'Software' started by llumpy, Apr 3, 2011.

1. llumpy

llumpy Private E-2

Hello new on here and i have a bewildering problem with Avast Antivirus free . I uninstalled Avast Antivirus Free using Revo Uninstaller in order to replace it with Avg antivirus free . After i uninstalled Avast i could not connect to the internet stumped on what to do i reinstalled avast free and my internet connection worked again . But the new avast installation can not update the error message is "Cannot connect to server. " I have tried to uninstall 3 times with the same results i even tried the repair option in the avast installation . Same result, my internet connection goes away after uninstalling avast. My computer is a reasonably new. hp desktop i am using vista 32 bit operating system . So as it is i am forced to use my computer with Avast that can not update itself. There is something else that is weird i joined the avast forum in order to post how to fix my dilemma there however i can not log in to avast forums after successfully filling out the registration and getting my conformation e mail from the avast forum that i have successfully joined . Everytime i try to log in to the avast forum my log in fails i get a error message that the connection has timed out. So i am unable to post a qustion on how to fix this in the avast forum. I have tried to log in using firefox and internet explorer same result both browsers. However i just joined this Majorgeeks forum and this is working well for me no problem. I am a 10 Year Computer user and can do most normal things with a computer but this has stumped me. I tried to google this problem but found no answers. Can anyone Help.:confused

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, llumpy, and welcome aboard.

Couple of quickies, just to get them out of the way:

1. With avast! uninstalled, go to Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings - make sure 'Use a proxy server' is not checked.

2. Also, with avast! uninstalled, check Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager - are there any flags showing?

3. drughetto

drughetto Private E-2

there is a cleaner for avast 6 and 5 and other http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

and a tool to fix internet issue http://www.rizone3.com/archives/1308
    it's very good

hope to helped you
    rolleyes

4. llumpy

llumpy Private E-2

Caliban . thanks for the reply i did exactly as you said and no change the settings you mentioned were as the are supposed to be and after uninstalling avast i again had no internet connection . Before doing all that i downloaded a new avast free installer from here and after i checked the settings i installed a new copie of avast . Well that did not go well even the new avast could not connect to the internet . I had to use system restore to go back to the avast that caused all this and can not update itself to get my connection back. So i can post to this forum and use my internet.

5. samtal

samtal Corporal

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Is it possible to download and run CCLeaner? If so, run both the files and registry cleaners. You might also go into Internet Options, make sure you dump any temp internet files, drop your Security settings for troubleshooting, etc.

Something strange is going on with that avast! - what version is it? I know you can't access the avast! forum, but if you can supply the version # maybe we can do some searching.

7. llumpy

llumpy Private E-2

samtal . Thanks for the advice but right now i cant use another av because i loose my internet connection when i uninstall avast. I will change it once i can fix my connection problem .

8. llumpy

llumpy Private E-2

Caliban i already have cc cleaner i will do a thorough house clean using it. Last night i got home late and when i swiched on my computer it froze up so i turned on system restore again and used my oldest restore point that i had on there and whoihla the avast was able to update itself . So at least for now i have a updated version of avast running however i have not shut my computer down yet i am almost afraid to ill post again if i still have problems. thanks.

9. llumpy

llumpy Private E-2

10. llumpy

llumpy Private E-2

Caliban the version of avast antivirus free that is causing me to loose my internet connection when i uninstall it is 6.0.1000.

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is your Vista and if 32bit or 64bit Windows please mention which one.

Did you have any anti-virus applications installed before you installed Avast, and if so what one? also what Security applications (firewall, anti-malware etc) do you have installed at present, please name all.

In Windows Security Centre does it list what Anti-virus application you have installed ok?

12. llumpy

llumpy Private E-2

DavidGP i have vista 32 bit that is in my (original post) Before i installed avast i had comodo internet security free. My present firewall is Privatefirewall 7.0. i have tried all combinations i uninstalled privatefirewall and used vista firewall . I even turned off the firewalls and antivirus programs to try to connect to the internet no avail i could not . Right now its working because i used system restore again. But i did the same thing a couple of days ago and everything worked fine until i turned off my computer last night after turning it on last night it froze and would not let me do anything so i shut it down forcefully and went in to safe mode and used system restore to go back to the earliest restore point i had now its working fine but i have not rebooted yet i am kind of afraid to do so i don't want to be without my internet connection.

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I had someone with a similar problem. She ran Norton and an update was causing problems. I told her every evening before she turned off the computer to manually create a restore point. That way she would not lose the work she had done during the day. If she turned it on the next morning and had a problem, she used the previous evening's restore point.
    Eventually Norton fixed the update and she did not have to keep using her restore point from the day before.

14. llumpy

llumpy Private E-2

plodr yea thats good advice . To do a restore point before shutting down. However the avast i have installed can not update itself the updates fail so there is no way to get a good update to it at least automatically . A few minutes ago my comp rebooted my internet is working fine Drughetto suggested i use the http://www.rizone3.com/archives/1308 internet connection tool and i did and my computer booted and connected fine ill have to wait and see for a day or so if things fix themselves however i still have not uninstalled the avast that has caused all the trouble because everytime i do i loose my internet connection i wont do it until i am able to have a second computer to work with or the money to take this one in to have it professionally fixed. Meanwhile i guess its doing system restore. I taught about trying a manual update with the avast i have installed ill try that next .

15. plodr

That points to more than one problem. Computers that are healthy don't spontaneously reboot. You need to look under the hood (look at your system logs) and see what else is going on. If that is fixed, maybe Avast can be removed by Revo and not cause a disruption in your internet connection.

16. Hfount

Hfount Private E-2

Hi, New here too. have a similar problem with AVAST. I used windows removal kit to uninstall it(don't laugh). Install Norton and things were not working right. Called Norton India support, they took over my machine and deleted reg entries from AVAST (don't laugh, never again!). Apparently, AVAST takes control of your internet devices, now I don't have access at all. Here is what I get, when I try to repair connection, "TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection"

Also, unknown devices have shown up in device manager; one for each of my devices. Disabling them doesn't do anything and i can't delete them. I can't restore system either!!!!!! i have a lenovo T61 running XP. I used the repair tool to no avail. Avast wants to charge me to fix (don't laugh). Can anyone help? Thanks.

17. plodr

18. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds