Uninstalling Avast

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 29, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

XP Home SP3 - there's an Avast desktop icon, and an Avast entry in Start > All Programs, but it's not listed in Add/Remove Programs, and there's no 'Uninstall' option in the All Programs listing, and if I go to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 there's no uninstaller file.... sooooo..... how would I go about doing a complete uninstall? Maybe use 'Hunter Mode' in Revo???

Thanks!

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks! I actually found the same thing at about the same time you posted the link LOL I was going to post the link, but I guess I don't have to now.... oh yeah, it worked perfectly.
    :-D

4. Mimsy

Good to know, if I ever need to use it. :)

(Can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of Avast though... ;) )

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I had to remove it 'cuz the PCs owner hadn't registered it and it wouldn't run, and the PC had numerous other issues (like Avast not being listed in the Add/Remove Programs list). When trying to run Avast, it would ask for a reg key, then close when no key was entered. I don't remember exactly what I did, but no matter what I tried, it would NOT start up as it should have. So, tomorrow I'll finish up getting rid of the other Windows issues, I'll install SP3 (currently it's running SP0!!!), and install an updated AV and AS. Many other things told me the PC hadn't been used in some time; like Adobe 5.0 was installed, but an Adobe 9.0 icon was on the desktop but 9.0 wasn't in Add/Remove, Aol 7.0 was installed, as was CompuServe!!!! How's that for a blast from the past?!?!?!
    roflmao LOL

6. Mimsy

CompuServe and no service packs!?!? :eek

Oh wow... maybe I'm overly destructive, but I would just have reinstalled the OS. ;)

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm making an inane comment in this thread, simply so I can find it when I search. ;)
    I'm going to be installing Avast on one of my computers and if I decide to uninstall it and have a problem, I want to be able to locate the tool. Thanks for the link - it will save me a search on the internet.

8. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds