Uninstalling Norton 360

Discussion in 'Software' started by dowboy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. dowboy

dowboy Private E-2

I am unable to uninstall Norton 360. Tryed doing it through control panel but got the error message Error: (9999,17x).

I then downloaded the Norton removal toolwhich is linked from this website (Norton Removal Tool 2009.0.5.40) and ran it. On the bar where it shows how much has been removed it goes to 3 bars and then does not move for hours until I have to turn the computer off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

-Graham

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcoime to Major Geeks.
    May have more success if you try removing in Safe Mode.

3. dowboy

dowboy Private E-2

Whats the safe mode?

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

5. dowboy

dowboy Private E-2

I'm afraid that hasn't helped. Does anyone have anymore ideas?

If I am unable to uninstall the old norton i'll be unable to install norton 2009. What can I that is comparable for antivirus, antispyware etc?

Is the free download malwarebytes comparable?

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware are good for spyware.
    I use AviraAntiVir for my antivirus program.

7. dowboy

dowboy Private E-2

Is this just the freedownloads that you use from those websites that you use or do you pay for the programmes?

Cheers for the help

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

ALL that I use are the freeware versaions.

9. dowboy

dowboy Private E-2

Are they likely to work even though I'll still have parts of norton that i can't remove?

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

That you might have to get some other help on. But the combination I use has kept me clean and out of the Malware forum.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds