Uninstalling Trend Micro--Issues with Replacements

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbpathd1, Aug 24, 2009.

1. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

I am following up with you after taking care of some problems in the Malware Forum. I have been putting into place everything in the Sticky: How to Protect yourself from malware! I had Trend Micro Internet Security Trial on my Lenovo computer, 3 months expired today. I might have kept Trend Micro but I got some Adware/Dialer etc. on this computer when it was 2 months old. Trend Micro alerted me big time to install of SpywareBlaster being a problem but not to these other (not so) baddies. I found them by accident doing a Malwarebytes scan just to assure myself the computer was clean before I did an image backup and proceeded with the rest of the sticky.

Last night I decided to go ahead and remove Trend Micro and replace it with free programs recommended in the Sticky: Comodo Internet Security (just the firewall) and Avira Antivir. Having been taught by Chaslang to use removal tools for stubborn Norton and McAfee programs, I first googled for a Trend Micro removal tool, thinking I could use it to clean up afterwards if I needed it. And I found several; the one for 2008 that should work was TISSuprt.exe. I started on the procedure to use it, but when I got to the screen that read, “You can force removal of the software, but unless you have installation problems, you should open the Control Panel and go run the uninstall program instead.” So I then I removed via Control Panel  Add/Remove Programs.

I rebooted and began installing Comodo IS Free, just the firewall part. I got a message that Trend Micro was still present (wished I continued with the “force removal” procedure), but I ignored it and went ahead with the Comodo installation because I was not about to leave the computer without a firewall or an antivirus. I figured I’d get rid of the remnants with the TM removal tool later. Since I had installed Comodo on a different computer, I knew what to expect and everything seemed to install just fine. I let the scan run when I was done, and all it found was 8 false positives.

I then went on to install Avira Antivir Free, which seemed to go well, and its short scan found one false positive.

On to Spybot installation, all went fine, and I put on SD helper and immunize as recommended in the Sticky. When I scanned with Spybot, it found 12 cookies and one Security Registry Change Microsoft WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride
    {SBI $3604910C} Settings
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride {is not}dword:0.
    I had no idea what this meant so I went ahead and fixed it and googled later.

Since Google led me to look at Security Center, I discovered Windows Firewall was still on, along with Comodo, so I disabled Windows firewall. I guess I could have left the Registry Change Spybot found unfixed, since I think fixing it means that Windows is going to monitor my Antivirus now. Any recommendations either way? I just went back to Security Center and had to turn off Windows firewall again. Comodo is recognized as the other firewall and is ON.

I checked Program Files and folder Trend Micro is left with folder OKAVAgent and its files. Tried both 2008 and 2009 Uninstall Tools to no avail to remove this folder. 2008 one wants a password (?) and 2009 ran OK, just did not remove anything. Am I right to think this folder should have been removed? How do I get off the rest of what's left of Trend Micro?

2. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi bbpathd1, you may want to contact Trend Micro, or their website to find out how to totally remove it from your system.... They might have a specific tool for that..

I also have Trend Micro on my system, and never got infected with anything, but I am on a DUN anyway..... Give them a shot, and see what they say..

If that key is associated with any other program, and you delete it, you may have problems.... Might be worth exploring.... At least check with them... They do have a FAQ you could check... ;)

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

There are tools to remove files, folders on reboot, avenger.exe is one that proved to be very helpful to me recently. OnlineArmor turned Windows firewall off for me, you could disable Windows firewall in services (Start>Run>services.msc). Just make a mental note of having done it for future reference. Have also used RevoUninstaller with success in removing McAffee, (crossed my fingers). Never had trouble with an uninstall of Trend Micro, but always did a yearly clean install, never an upgrade. I do like to reformat and reinstall Windows used on the net every year or two, and keep a backup handy if all else fails.

4. bbpathd1

Thanks for your reply, TeeCee. I did look at Trend Micro’s website and found a couple tools. The 2009 one unzipped and had the older 2008 as well. I ran both but nothing budged.

I’m glad you’ve had good luck with Trend Micro. Forgive me for not knowing the lingo, but what is a DUN?

You may be onto something right there. This is not the only problem I’ve had with uninstalling a program—I had problems removing MS Java too. I’m putting that in another thread.

Bugballou, is that the avenger I have seen used in the Malware Forum? I am not familiar with how safe or it is to use or just what to use it for. Ditto the RevoUninstaller.

How do you do a yearly clean install? Are you using a backup CD/DVD of your system, what’s on the partition as a backup or a real copy of Windows? I would think it is a lot of work if you have a lot of apps to reinstall. And what do you do about SP3 if your original version does not have it? Is your backup an image or just data?

TeeCee and Bugaballou, are either of you familiar with Your Uninstaller! 2006 5.0.0.360? I found this in a two-year-old post.
    Has anyone used this safely and with success?

5. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi bbpathd1, no problem with the lingo... There are still a 'few' of us on DUN's:-D "DUN" is short for "Dial-Up-Network"... Not hi-speed, but the good ole dial-up!

I had TM PC-Cillin, and upgraded to Trend-Micro Internet Security, and never had any issues with either... Still have the Trend Micro Internet Security, and never had any issues....

As far as
    No, I never used that.... I know the Revo is very good.. Had good luck removing other software with it...

As far as Java goes, I have had rounds of my own with that one.. You do have to remove the old to install the new... That is a good thing to do..

Another software I really do like is Secunia PSI. Here is the link:
    http://majorgeeks.com/Secunia_Personal_Software_Inspector_PSI_d6030.html

When you run that, it will check all the software on your PC, and tell you what is out of date, needs updating, and is VERY user friendly.. I just LOVE mine... I think you will benefit from it also.... It has been a real gem.. If something is in need of an update, it will tell you to click the "fix it" button and guide you to the update... LOTS of info to be had with it, and I still have mine... And yes, I use it religiously... ;)

I hope you can get things sorted out... Do keep us posted tho... Always interesting to hear how one makes out.... :wave

6. bbpathd1

TeeCee, thanks for the second on RevoUninstaller. I may look into that. I like to know someone else has had success with a program they have tried before I go ahead with it.

I have heard of Secunia PSI. Glad to hear you recommend it too. I may look into it also.

I'll check what is available documentationwise first. I think I may be able to download from MG files.

I am trying to avoid the temptation of adding a lot of new software until I get my existing problems straightened out.

7. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi bbpathd1, both Revo and Secunia PSI are available to download from Major Geeks... Revo has been used by the best here....:major

I would highly recommend both, and especially the Secunia, because it will not only scan your software, but it does help a LOT by giving you details on what needs to be updated, or even removed, and even links to where to get it.. I have to say, it is the best I have seen in a long time.. Like I said, it is very user friendly... Only one thing to remember, put it in "Advanced" mode, not simple... You will get a more thorough scan and TONS of info, in people language that any regular person can understand.... Very nice to have, and it isn't really huge either....

Good to see you back ! ;)

8. bbpathd1

TeeCee, just now getting back after some time in the real world away from computers.
    I noticed in a HJT log that Trend Micro shows up here:

O23 - Service: OKAV Agent Service - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OKAVAgent\OKAVAgent.exe

Is an O23 an item that can just be easily eliminated in HJT? Maybe that would get rid of my leftover Trend Micro.

I think I may give Secunia a try since you recommend it so highly. That will be on the schedule for this week.

9. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi bbpathd1, I am not familiar with HJT... But, go with the Secunia, because it is super, and it works...

I will find out about the HJT entry and get back to you about it.. Do not delete it until you hear back from me... Don't want to compromise your system, it may be there for a reason... I will find out.. ;)

10. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Hello, bbpathd1

What is your OS?

dr.m

11. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

12. dr.moriarty

;)

Thanks, TeeCee!

13. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, bbpathd1, follow these instructions, and let me know the results.. ;)

USING HJT to remove a service:

• Click on Start, then Run ... type services.msc into the box that opens up, and press 'OK'.
    • On the page that opens, scroll down to OKAV Agent Service
    • then right click the entry, select Properties and press Stop Service.
    • When it shows that it is stopped, next please set the Start-up Type to 'Disabled'
    • Next, run HJT, but instead of scanning, click on the None of the above, just start the program button at the bottom of the choices.
    • At the lower right, click on the Config button
    • Then click the Misc tools button
    • Select Delete an NT Service
    • Copy/paste OKAV Agent Service into the box that opens, and press OK
    • If you receive any error messages just ignore them and continue.
    • Now exit HJT but do not reboot when it tells you it needs to.

"Using Windows Explorer - delete this folder ----> C:\Program Files\Trend Micro"

Please post back if this was successful or not with HJT --- there are more ways to remove a service.;)

14. dr.moriarty

:wine

Nice work, TeeCee!

dr.m

15. bbpathd1

TeeCee and dr.moriarty,

I am thrilled. I got the error message where you said I would. Your procedure worked!:) Thanks so much! And bless Merijn for writing HJT!

The rest of this below is just for reference.

I had a problem with Antivir updating on just one day (090309); I did not see the thread in this forum that some were having problems every day until today. I ran Kaspersky Online Scan that day, but it did not do the antiviral part, just the spyware part of the scan, even though I disabled Antivir. I wondered if the leftover Trend Micro was what prohibited the antiviral scan, and I am guessing now it was.

TeeCee, I had taken your earlier advice and emailed Trend Micro for help. I got back a reply from them at about the same time as I got your method. I am going to include this in the thread just so anyone else who comes up with the same problem can refer to it and maybe find your solution.

I went ahead and tried to do what Trend Micro sent before I tried your steps. I got stuck at Part II step 3 because the Trend Micro folder would not delete.

For comparison, this is what they sent me (my comments in bold):

I have reviewed your case and I understand that you are having problems
    uninstalling your Trend Micro program on your computer.

Thank you for the information that you sent us as it was very helpful for us to determine what is causing you the error that you are currently encountering.

In line with your concern, I have already analyzed the log file that you sent us and found that you have multiple anti-malware programs installed on your computer. And having multiple anti-malware programs installed on your computer is not advisable as it will conflict with each other and may cause performance problems on your computer.

I suggest using only one Anti-malware program on your computer to avoid
    conflicts on your computer.

Kindly check the anti malware programs below that is conflicting on your computer.

- Avira
    - Comodo Firewall Pro
    - Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes
    - McAfee
    - Spybot
    - SUPERAntiSpyware

(I told him: “BTW, the setup for security choices came from Majorgeeks.com, Chaslang's "How to Protect yourself from Malware!". Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware are just scanners, no realtime protection in either. Spybot is set up with SD Helper and Immunize, no Teatimer. McAfee is just SiteAdvisor, nothing else.”)

With regard to uninstalling your Trend Micro program, in order for us to resolve this issue, we need to use the removal tool of Trend Micro program while on safe mode and perform a clean uninstall on it.

Kindly follow the steps below on how to uninstall your Trend Micro program on your computer while on safe mode.

Booted in safe mode

1. Shutdown your system and reboot it.
    2. While your system is restarting, hold the F8 key down until the Windows start menu appears.
    3. Select Safe Mode with networking.

I. Please select from any of the Trend Micro Internet Security Diagnostic Toolkit below:

NOTE: When you click directly on the link/(s) below you might receive an error message. Please copy the entire link and paste it in the address bar of a new browser and then press Enter.

For 32 bit installer:
    http://solutionfile.trendmicro.com/solutionfile/TIS/TISTOOL/SupportTool_32-bit.exe

For 64-bit Installer:
    http://solutionfile.trendmicro.com/solutionfile/TIS/TISTOOL/SupportTool_64-bit.exe

To verify if your computer is a 32bit or 64bit, kindly do the following:

1. Click Start.
    2. Click Run.
    3. Type in msinfo32.
    4. A new window will appear. On the left panel under Item column, look for System Type.
    Beside it you will see the value.

x86 = 32bit
    x64 = 64bit

Follow the steps below:

1. On the File Download window, click Save. The Save As window appears.

2. Click Desktop as the location and click Save.

3. After the download, double-click SupportTool_32-bit.exe or
    SupportTool_64-bit.exe to start extracting the file.

Note: If a User Account Control window appears, click Continue, or enter the password for an administrator account and then click OK.

4. Click Unzip.

5. After extracting the file, click OK and then Close.

6. On your desktop, look for the 32-bit or 64-bit folder and double-click on it.

7. Double-click on TISTOOL.exe to run the Trend Micro Internet Security
    Diagnostic Toolkit. (The icon looks like a life-saver icon).

8. Click on the Uninstall tab. You can delete different versions of Trend Micro Consumer products in this section by clicking the dropdown icon and choosing the Trend Micro product and version you want to delete. (When I got to the click Uninstall tab, there was no drop-down for choices. It said it was TM IS Pro 2010 that would be uninstalled. I went ahead and did that. I think I had TM IS 2008 or 2009, if that makes any difference.)

9. After choosing which product and version to delete, click the Uninstall button.

10. When you are done, click “Yes” to restart your computer.

II. Delete the folders related to your Trend Micro.

1. Click on the start button and go to My Computer.
    2. Open Local Disc C: or hard disc drive C:
    3. Open Program Files folder and delete the Trend Micro Folder. (I got a box "Error Deleting File or Folder" that said “Cannot delete OKAVAgent.exe: Access is denied.” So I stopped here and went to TeeCee’s procedure instead.)
    4. Click on the Start / Windows Logo button. Click “RUN / Start Search”.
    5. On the open field type in, REGEDIT and click ok.
    6. On the registry editor window, expand your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    7. Expand SOFTWARE
    8. Delete the Trend Micro folder.

III. MSI Clean Up
    1. Download the MSI cleanup utility from Microsoft and install it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Direct download link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

2. Run the cleanup utility and locate any Trend Micro programs especially TMASOEDL and TMASOLDL and remove it

After performing all the suggested steps, your Trend Micro program will now be completely uninstalled on your computer.

So, TeeCee and dr.moriarty, thanks for saving me from having to edit the registry and use that risky sounding MSI cleanup utility!:):)

Guess that closes my thread on Trend Micro uninstall problems. Now on to my Java issues!

16. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Oh, I am happy to hear that! But Good Grief, bbpathd1, I even got lost in TM's removal process!!! LOL I am so glad you came to us here... and we could help you... ;) And a LOT easier too!

Now, for your JAVA issues....That should be a whole lot more easier..;) go to
    http://www.java.com and it will tell you what version you have, and also if you need to update, just click update... Then, once it is updated, it will open your browser and take you to a test page, that will check to be sure it had updated properly, and is working properly.. and also, did you download Secunia PSI? That is my best friend for sure... If you have Secunia, Just open it and make sure it is in "advanced mode" not simple, and let it scan.. If it says you need any updates, do them. It is so much easier with Secunia, because you just scan, and if anything [JAVA] is out dated, it will tell you.. It will also give you a nice and EASY way to update it.. Just click "fix it" and it will take you to the proper website to get your updates, and you can trust it..
    If there are older versions on your system, it will show you the file to open and remove them.. So much more simple !!!!

Just holler if you need anything :major

thank you for posting the note from TM... Quite informative!

17. dr.moriarty

MSI cleanup utility often works well to solve problems. I would recommend that you now use CCleaner_Slim's Registry Tool and scan for any remaining registry issues.

You're Welcome!
    dr.m

18. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Just to re-enforce, the MSI cleanup utility is not risky. As long as when it runs, you look very carefully over the "installed" programs and only check/tick the one program that you have a problem with.

19. bbpathd1

Seems like there should be a fork in the road at this point, but if y’all are comfortable staying in this thread, we’ll continue on here.

Plodr,

Thank you for your comment on MSI. You’ve identified the point of risk I saw in a quick skim of the MSI reference, so strike my hasty comment. I agree with you—not risky if you are familiar with it and know what you are doing. If I ever have to use it, I am going to check with you or someone else in this forum BEFORE I use it. I’d do that with anything I hadn’t ever heard of before.

Plodr, you are referenced in my reply to dr.moriarty below, so I welcome your comments on CCleaner and the Registry and anything else.

TeeCee,

I just installed and ran Secunia. I was at 98%. Adobe Flash Player 10x (ActiveX) was indicated as a problem. At first I thought this must be a false positive.

Now I had already gone to Adobe quite some time ago and got this most recent version Flash Player (10.0.32.18). I looked in Add or Remove Programs and it was already there. However, the old 10.0.22.87 (or whatever it was) was still listed just above this one and maybe it did not work for that reason. Secunia had me download Adobe Download Manager, then apparently removed the old Flash Player version and installed the new and showed me the working video to confirm. Nice! Correcting this item brought it to 100% on the Secunia scan.

So thanks for urging me to use Secunia. Good advice! Glad I decided to try it.:)

Sun Java did NOT show up as a problem because this computer never had Sun Java until I put SJ on it. Lenovo put only the bare minimum of anything to run this computer—hardwarewise and softwarewise.

I discovered I had MS Java on the computer, no Sun. I verified that the MS Java files to be removed existed. Then I used the removal tool in Chaslang’s sticky “How to Protect yourself from Malware!”

I had installed JRE 6 Update 15 when I was going through the sticky. It worked in Mozilla Firefox; however, it did not work at all in IE6. So I then tried JRE 16—same problem. I went through Mozilla to verify Sun Java was working, and it was. However, when I went to IE6, SJ was not working. All I get is the dreaded red X.

Sun provides three different troubleshooting methods: I’ve enabled Java in both browsers, I’ve tried enabling it through Java's control panel and I've cleared both browser caches. I went through all three procedures once, closing and opening browsers, and then a second time, rebooting afterwards. I uninstalled and reinstalled Sun Java and went through all three procedures again, unchecking the choices and rechecking them, but nothing works in IE6. Then I made IE6 my default browser, hoping that would help, and went through everything again—still red X. I guess I could just live with it and use Mozilla most of the time, which I plan to do. However, I’m guessing a time will come when I’ll need Java in IE6, so I wonder if you have any other troubleshooting ideas.

I then went back to verify that MS Java had been removed. Not entirely. I wouldn’t think having some MS Java files still would conflict with Sun Java, but I wanted to ask to make sure. The file java.PNF is still in the C:\Windows\inf folder. The tool removed the files jview.exe and wjview.exe from the C:\Windows\system32 folder and took the MS Java related files out of the C:\Windows\java folder, but left the folder itself with a Citrix Online file g2mdlhlpx.exe. Do I need that file for anything or should it go? I tried running the tool a second time with no better results. Then I thought I’d just use the first method in Chaslang’s sticky instead of the removal tool. However, I get a Microsoft VM uninstall box that states: “If this component is uninstalled, Microsoft Internet Explorer will not be able to download files from the World Wide Web. Do you still want to uninstall the Microsoft VM?” I said no, assuming I might not be able to get Automatic Updates or much of anything else via IE6.

When I installed SP3 I hoped that might update IE6 to get rid of the red X, but it didn’t. So what should I do?

Dr.moriarty,

I came across a thread with Halo suggesting backing up the registry with ERUNT (even though CCleaner does a backup) and Plodr suggesting fixing just batches of 50 registry issues at a time once you’ve found them with CCleaner.

So I installed ERUNT and made a registry backup first. Then I updated to the most recent version of CCleaner_slim that you provided.

I ran CCleaner on Registry Integrity and got around 250-280 items.

I was first introduced to CCleaner over two years ago in the Malware Forum. Until my visit back this time around, I didn’t use it very much. Guess it was almost like saving it for a special occasion (like malware removal)--kind of like saving the good china (Why do we do that?). Now that I’ve had a little more experience with it, I use CCleaner (first tab) frequently, several times a week.

But this is the first time to ever use any Registry cleaner. This computer is not even 4 months old yet; (I shudder to think what my three-year old one looks like, and I will put it in another thread when I tackle it).

I see in the list the following:
    about 20-30 ActiveX/Com issues InProcServer32\C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TMAS_OL\REDEMP~1.dll or InProcServer32\C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\Internet Security\TMAS_OE\ TMAS_OEApInit.dll or TMAS_OEStore.dll

3 Installer Reference Issues
    C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\OKAVAgent
    C:\Program Files\TrendMicro
    C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\Internet Security

1 Old Start Menu Key
    Trend Micro Internet Security

All those that reference TMIS I left checked and fixed—29 in all.

I need to know a little more about the rest before I get rid of them. I have

15 or 16 Missing Shared Dlls
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\Runtime\11\00\Intel 32\*.dll or DotNetInstaller.exe or C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.03705\*.tlb

About 15 Unused File Extensions
    Including .CSV, .pf and .tmp

5 Invalid Default Icons

5 Open with Application Issues

10 more ActiveX\Com Issues

Around 140 Missing TypeLib References

3 Application Paths Issues

1 Help File Issue

1 Uninstaller Reference Issue

10 Missing MUI References

To save me from googling for hours, can you briefly tell me what these things are and why I do not need them?

20. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi bbpathd1, nice to see you back...One thing I have found, is that with Secunia, I have had no "false positive." Now, Secunia has scanned your system, and now it is at 100% We will work on one issue at a time...

*Have you thought about updating from IE6 to IE7? Now that you have
    I would give it a whirl, and see if that takes care of those dreaded red "x's"

*Let's see if updating to IE7 takes care of that problem, now that you have SP3. We will pick it up from here, after updating to IE7.

*If you still have the problem, go here, and download JavaRA http://majorgeeks.com/JavaRA_d5982.html and run it, and it will also clean out any registry items associated with the old versions of java that the add and remove program leaves behind, then go here to download the latest Java6 Update 16 http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4648

OK, let's battle this first... Be sure to post back,, and let us know how you make out... You may also, if you don't want to update to IE7, just download the JavaRA and then run it, and download the latest version, and see if that works... However, with SP3, I think you should go with IE7. Your system won't explode, for sure...

21. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

CCleaner 250-280 items. If you are afraid, pick 50 at a time and let CCleaner remove them - be sure to say YES when it asks do you want to create a backup. That way, if anything breaks, you just click on the CCleaner reg backup and all items are back in the registry that had previously been remove.
    Note: I have never had to use the backup but I always say Yes, I do want a backup.

Work with the computer for awhile and if things seems okay, pick the next group of 50 items, let it clean and Yes create a backup. Keep doing this for a few days until no more registry problems are found.

If you just want to go for it in one pass, have CCleaner take care of every registry entry.
    The 15 or 16 dlls all have to do with the installation of >NET
    http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q108178&sliceId=1
    since it is on your computer, the installation files can be removed.
    .pf are pre-fetch files, once deleted, windows will start filling with new ones and tmp are temp files that should periodically be removed .CSV appears to be excel files - if they are unused, maybe something referred to them and the item is now gone.
    5 invalid default icons might be for software pre-installed that you did not use (I think things like Norton AV trial, AOL and whatever bloatware gets added to new computers)
    5 Open with applications probably references the apps that are now removed. Like scan with Trend Micro...

I would say it is safe to assume that all the items CCleaner found are not needed. But say YES to creating a backup just on the off chance that something was needed.

22. bbpathd1

Thanks, Plodr.

I just got rid of the Missing TypeLib References and Unused File Extensions for the first go round. That's more than half of them.

I noticed CCleaner does tell me something about each item if I want to take the time to click through them individually after I've selected a batch. I can use that to find out about some of the items that pique my curiosity.

I have my backups so I feel secure. I'll probably get rid of the rest later this weekend.

(P.S. Out of curiosity I ran CCleaner on Registry Integrity on my 3-year-old computer, and I was pleasantly surprised to find only 350 or so entries on the list! Much less than I would have guessed. So guess I will be cleaning it in the near future too.)

23. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Sounds like a plan, bbpathd1 ;)

24. bbpathd1

TeeCee,

Today has been a good day. Guess what I saw this evening? The Java coffee cup in IE7! No more red x in IE and Java works equally well in Mozilla as it has all along.:)

I decided to leave the JRE 16 version alone and install IE7 first since it seemed more likely it was some problem with the IE6 I had than anything with Java. When I installed IE7, it first came up and was a hungapp, giving me one of Microsoft’s error messages. After I rebooted, it directed me to Windows Update for a couple updates. While I was there I went ahead and upgraded Windows Update to Microsoft Update and downloaded another six updates.

Back to IE7, I glanced at the first couple pages on new features and then headed to Java. I was so glad to see that coffee cup.

Now, I am testing Hotmail. I had had a problem with the dreaded prompts for Navigate sub-frames across different domains ever since I set that Active X security setting to Prompt, and that is what I had associated with the blank IE pages coming up. Seems that box regarding sub-frames would come up frequently and I would usually say No, but it did not seem to matter if I said Yes either, and I would get extra blank IE pages opening up. Well, it seems now they are gone, and I am so happy about that too. Now I can look at Hotmail and not be irritated by the sub-frames prompts.:)

So, TeeCee, thank you very much. You made my day!

25. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi bbpathd1, that is wonderful to hear! :clap :clap :clap Yes, I also have IE7, and I think your main problem was that IE 6 is no longer being supported, and IE 7 is so much more better than 6, ( I will stick with 7 but not 8 myself!!!) ;)

Yes, all those updates were normal, I had to do them too, so don't worry about that... IE 7 has a lot more security features, and you already have SP3, so you should be FLYING now!:-D

Congrats to you my friend! :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds