Unit shuts down after cpu fan install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by agent30odin, Sep 14, 2008.

1. agent30odin

agent30odin Private E-2

Ok, so I had the genius idea of trying to install a new fan in my old system to maybe get away with overclocking to avoid upgrading. I have a decent tech experience, I've built machines in the past and do all of my own upgrades.

Long story short, I ended up scrapping the new fan idea (too big for the tower case) and replaced the old fan. I turn the unit on and it starts up normally, then while its starting windows ( I saw my icons for a couple seconds) it shuts down. I tried this again and it didn't even get past the windows splash screen.

My guess is that the CPU is overheating and that I have messed up installing the fan. I followed all steps, thermal compound, attach to mobo, plug in to mobo, but I may have something loose.

I guess my question: is there anything else that this can be? The power supply seems fine, I know my main Hard drive is working because it did boot. Possibly memory, but that should all be fine. Lastly, my visuals were fine, so I don't suspect a graphics card problem.

Didn't mean to write a book, just figure the more info the better. Thank you all who take the time to read this and double thanks for any additional information that you can give me.

2. agent30odin

agent30odin Private E-2

Ok, I should really follow my own advice before posting.

I have removed the fan, replaced the thermal compound, and reconnected the fan. Sure enough, next boot has been good for 10 minutes. I'm going to let my computer run for a while, but I think that this problem is solved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds