Unknown Device in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suep, Jan 18, 2005.

1. suep

suep Private E-2

Was having problems upgrading a Windows ME pc to Windows so I decided to format the drive and start from scratch. I thought I documented all the devices...This is a dell 8100 and came with a device drivers cd. Have installed all of these drivers and am able to identify what they apply to; however, the "unknown device" is still there. Have tried deleting it and rebooting to see if maybe it will be recognized but it still keeps coming back as unknown device. How do I go about finding out what this device is. As far as I can tell everything is working fine.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

give this software a go and see if it can find out what that unknown device is, in most instances it will find more info on the hardware thats unknown so you can find a driver for it.

Unknown Device
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3908

3. suep

suep Private E-2

Thank you...I'll give that a try. :)

4. skipper

skipper Private E-2

you probably need to get the latest inf files for your motherboard...basically you need to get your drivers updated...find out the name of the device..do a google search and get what you need..good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds