Unknown Devices

Discussion in 'Software' started by oma, Feb 6, 2009.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

Never thought I'd land in this forum! Hope it's the correct one I'm posting in. :-o

I had to remove and reinstall free AVG 8 TWICE due to problems. Then after that my Epson Stylus Photo RX500 didn't work in scanning mode anymore.

I removed all Epson related software programs, reinstalled it with the CD and now it works great again.

By co-incidence I checked into the Hardware Manager and found 2 yellow"question" marks in Unknown Devices. This is what it shows under details of unknown device properties.

They are: root\legacy_AVG8EMC\0000 and root\legacy_AVG8WD\0000

Got no idea what they are and to which hardware(?) they correspond to. As far as I know everything works just fine. Googled some but couldn't find anything useful.

Please advise what I need to do?

Thank you!!

2. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Sometimes --- you have to manually take the cord out of the scanner and replug, I've had to do it a couple of times. You probably already know about this, but the mystery devices may be the scanner being freaky.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thank you but that didn't solve the problem. It's an all in one printer, not just a scanner. Additionally, I don't really know when these yellow question marks showed up as I never checked the Hardware Devices previously.

It's strange that there are 2 unknown devices which mention AVG8 in the unknown device properties. The only thing I can think of is about the antivirus AVG v8 with which I had trouble with.

Hope that someone will be able to solve this mystery for me as I am afraid to delete them or whatever, without knowing what it would affect.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Oma

Would be tempted to run the AVG removal tool to see if it cleans up any old components to AVG http://www.avg.com/download-tools

While it may not go deep enough into the registry run CCleaners registry cleaner and see if it finds these, may need to run it until it finds nothing as once one old entry is removed, some others can become orphaned and those also need removing.

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thank you Halo. Ran the AVG removal tool several times, ran CCleaner and checked the Unknown Devices. No dice, still the same. :(

Strange thing is that the Epson all in one printer is not shown in the device manager although it's running fine after the re-installation of the software.

Here are some pics. What steps need to be done now? :confused I'm afraid to touch or change anything without a MG's detailed and step by step easy guidance.

Attached Files:

6. DavidGP

Hi Oma

Long way is to manually delete any registry references to AVG, but rather see if a tool can do this first, try this AVG remover from Kaspersky http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279831 (also try running it in Safe Mode as devices may have components locked by system)

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thank you Halo. I downloaded the Kapersky AVG removal tool. However, when I clicked on the KLeaner.exe both in Safe Mode and in regular mode, it turns blue but doesn't do anything. What is going on or do I need to do anything else that I don't know about? Why would AVG put registry items in the Device Manager. Can the 2 mentioned just not be deleted there?

Thank you once again.

EDIT: I ran KLeaner in Safe Mode without networking and the regular mode with networking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  8. DavidGP

Hi Oma

Can they be deleted from Dev Mgr, I dont see why not as they have no links to other devices, would do a backup with Acronis TI first but thinking about it I would be thinking that they will either delete ok or on a reboot re-appear. Just would think that you may have AVG references left in the registry, but then most applications that are uninstalled have orphans leftover due to poor coded uninstallers.

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

Hi Halo,

Was brave, took your advice and just deleted them 2. (without doing a TI image though) Rebooted TWICE just to be sure and these 2 items are no longer showing! Also tried a few things out with AVG and Epson all-in-one printer. So far no problems. :celebrate

THANK YOU!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds