unknown p c problem - detailed thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by ferg46, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ferg46

ferg46 Private First Class

Hi guys does anyone whats wrong with my computer:

Problems

1)main probem - Programmes starting to crash a lot more in recent weeks eg,
    Firefox,wmp11,Norton av 2006. by crash I mean stop functioning and force me into a manual shutdown.i might be just listenig to music and surfing web and the whole laptop just becomes very sluggish and eventually the programmes fail,this has started occurring about 4/5times a week around 2/3weeks ago

2)slowish start up 2minutes or so to open a prog. Eg firefox

3)sometimes a folder may takes up to and over a minute just to open contents

Comp spec

-ms windows xp2
    -pentium m processor 1.60ghz
    -hp pavilion dv4000 1yr old
    -512 ram
    installed programmes which maybe the cause
    àmaintainance programmes
    -ad aware se personal mg
    -spybot s&d mg
    -cleanup! mg
    -mru blaster mg
    -norton internet security 2006
    -c cleaner mg
    -a squared mg
    -free ram xp pro mg
    -10bit defrag beta2.1 mg

àstandard programmes
    -ie 7
    -f.fox2 mg
    -picassa 2
    -winamp
    -real player
    -creative media source
    -sonic digital media home
    -vlc player mg
    -mario forever
    -wallpaper master
    -driveimage xl mg
    -sync back mg
    -the godfather mg
    -7zip mg
    -SUPER(audio/video converter)

-storm codec 5
    -u torrent--------->i download legal torrents with this
    most will say that u torrent is a resource hog but these crashes have been occuring when u torrent is turned of

the programmes with mg after them are the ones i downloaded from here
    the programmes which are underlined in colour are the most recent installs i.e 2-3 weeks , some of which may be the cause of my problem

nb - i use all the cleaning progs regularly and they are all up to date

really appreciate if anyone can inform if iv installed to many programmes or a dodge prog thanks to anybody who can be of any assisatance
    please post back here or pm me for more info/questions thanks guys

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

The first thing I'd do is uninstall all Norton software; then go to Start>Run>msconfig and start unchecking software from the start-up menu. A visit to the malware removal forum and reading the stickies is probably a good idea too. If you run registry cleaners or system optimizers or defraggers too often, you can really mess things up. A guy I know was wonder why his PC was taking longer and longer to boot and load programs; he said "I defrag the drive and run ScanDisk (Win98) and clean the registry at least 5 times a day.. why is it so slow?" Serious and true story. He cleaned and optimized his PC/hard drive to death.... a word of warning....

hopperdave2000

3. ferg46

great first quick reply, im gonna get some rest, and have a look at the comments tommorow and see were i go from there thanks hopperdave

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Personally, I wouldn't neccessarily UNINSTALL Norton, as it may not be the problem, but if you turn off the AV software briefly and try opening some of the programs you know to be slow on starting, and see if it makes a difference to the speed. If it doesn't, re-enable Norton. If it does, you may want to investigate uninstalling Norton and using different free firewalls and AVs, such as Zonealarm and Avast, available in the download sections of MGs.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html

If this doesn;t help I would work through the Malware Read and Run This First sticky, and if after that you are still experiencing problems, create a thread attaching the logs as requested in the Malware Forum.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

5. ferg46

ok guys thanks for help so far iv just received a request from norton for this

odbcjet.exe

to connect to the internet,iv googled it and its known spyware so im gonna move over to the malware removal thread

ps. sorry about posting another similar thread its just im stressed out and cant find the problem

thanks again mg/ma

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

7. ferg46

sorry lev had to go for a second , em i think im gonna run the sticky when i get a day off from collage and hopefully that will work out , to be honest i think im in over my head....

again thanks for the help and i will post back as soon a i go forwards or backwards

cheers fergal

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Just follow the sticky word for word.....it is intentionally written for people who perhaps don't have so much experience in this area. You will be fine. Just follow it to the letter and don't miss out any steps.

9. ferg46

sorry guys for some reason i can only see your threads when i get them on gmail,there not showing up on mg......strange?

on the norton issue i only have 50days or so left so if i must uninstall norton i dont mind as i have heard great reviews of other free alternatives

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Note: Dont start this thread into being a bash Norton thread as the issue may have nothing to do with Norton, while a good suggestion to remove Norton for troubleshooting purposes, some users have paid good money to use this software and may not wish to remove it yet until their subcription has run out.

As Norton IS has live malware scanning the issue could be around Spybot S&Ds Teatimer is active, so would also be a viable option to remove that also?

IS A-squared the Antimalware version or the free ondemand scan, if the Antimalware ist live scanning and can cause issues with other live scanning software, so viable to remove this also?

But Levs suggestion of following the malware Read Me is a wise one to action, if your malware free then its time to look at software incompatabilities.

11. ferg46

hi guys

i never meant for this thread to dvelop into an anti-norton thread i and other users are jjust trying to identify the problem

as for spybot s&d the teatimer function is off

im not sure exactly what version of a squared i have but i got it from mg and it says its compatiable with your antivirus scanner

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4281.html

again thanks to everyone for help im pretty sure it is/was malware and not software incompatibilities but at this stage im still unsure exatcly what it is,
    im getting help in the malware dept now so im pretty sure il be looked after there,
    when i found out what was wrong il post back so maybe someone doesnt make the same mistake as me
    cheers fergal

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yep that version of A2 is fine as its not a live background scanning app but on demand, but the guys in Malware will help you out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds