Unmountable Boot Volume and other problem with notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smilada, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Smilada

Smilada Private E-2

I own a Compaq Presario M2000 notebook. Two days ago I was upset and banged the keyboard and tossed it onto my bed. Later on, I checked the screen and it was hang. So I restarted, but it always take me to a blue screen with a notice saying that Windows has detected a problem and shut down itself because Unmountable Boot Volume.

I've opened up to check the RAM, HDD, and Network Card, in case they were displaced accidentally. I also have tried to do the Recovery Process using the Windows XP CD. I've tried the chkdsk /r also the fixboot. None of them worked.

I also have tried all of these:

1. I tried to download the Seagate tool from Seagate's website, but it didn't work. Somehow, it always freeze.

2. I also have unplugged my network card, and starting the notebook, didn't work.

3. I took one of the two memory cards, and I try each of them in those two slots. Still nothing happen.

However, I also encountered an error message in DOS prompt:

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (forgot the numbers in the bracket)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM"

From what I've read so far from the net, it might be cause by memory card and/or network card. But then again, I tossed it when it's still running, so I might scratch the hdd.

Anyone can guide me to fix this one? Many thanks in advanced :)

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

"Unmountable boot volume" usually means there is something VERY wrong with your hard drive. Back up everything important, if you haven't already. Your hard drive is probably dying on you.

3. Smilada

Smilada Private E-2

How could I store any backup if I can't even access it? :cry

So is this 100% guarantee that the HDD is failing? If this is a 100% caused by failing HDD, then I will get the new one straightaway. If not, I have to find out what actually caused it and take proper solution.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You might be able to access your data on the drive by using a USB adapter and another computer. The drive may have a dammaged boot sector. While there is no way to give a 100% opinion over the 'net, If it were my computer, I would get a new drive.

You might also try a Linux LiveCD, that will allow you see if the computer boots, and if it does, you can check out the various components.

E

5. Smilada

Smilada Private E-2

And where can I get the Linux LiveCD?

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

7. Smilada

Smilada Private E-2

I'm downloading Knoppix at the moment, will it be enough?

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That should do the trick. You may need to look into ISO burning programs. You have to burn an ISO, not just copy the files to a CD.

I found this program in another thread. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4242.html

E

9. Smilada

Smilada Private E-2

Ok, I've got a copy of Knoppix, I run it in my notebook and everything is perfectly fine. I could actually access all my files. So what's next? I take everything that is important and buy new hard drive?

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I would replace the hard drive. I never trust one once it starts brain farting on me! So you can get to the Windows repair screen right?

E

11. Smilada

Smilada Private E-2

I can't because I run Knoppix from the DVD. How to install it to the notebook so I can use the CD-ROM for Windows XP CD?:p

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sorry Smilada, I misread your post. (or forgot some info...:-D)

So you can boot and run just fine from a Knoppix disk. You have tried a windows repair, and still no boot from the hard drive. But you can access the windows repair screen if you boot from the windows cd right?

Have you tried the command 'fixmbr' from the windows repair screen? (without the ') If that does not help, I am out of ideas. I would get a new hard drive, install the os on it and you should be able to access the data on your old drive using a USB adapter.

E

13. Smilada

Smilada Private E-2

Yes, I could access the Windows repair if I boot from CD.

I've tried fixmbr too and it didnt do anything. So last nite I ran the laptop on Knoppix, accessing all important files and moved them to the external harddrive.

Now I just trying to find a time so I can go to the workshop, and let the technician makes the final verdict.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds