Unmountable boot volume, boot sector virus?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 123ertuyio, Apr 19, 2011.

1. 123ertuyio

123ertuyio Private E-2

Hello, I recently got the 'blue screen of death' whilst trying to start my computer. I tried using the windows CD to fix the problem, but on my computer I get an error saying a .sys file is corrupted (Is that the file corrupted on my computer or on the CD?). But when I tried the same process on another computer it worked fine. When ever I try to enter safe mode on my computer I get the unmountable boot volume error.
    Please help me on this, I have lots of school work on that computer and I need it by next wednesday!
    I realy hope I dont have to completly reinstall windows cause nothing is backed up.
    Thanks.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome :)

Which sys file? What's the BSOD error exactly - 0x000????? - give us some clues ;) ?

Which Windows version and Service Pack?

Is the CD the same type (Home, Pro, etc.) and SP level?

3. 123ertuyio

123ertuyio Private E-2

Thanks for the responce:)

The sys file was somthing like (somthing)disk.sys, sorry i cant rember it.
    But now the instalation CD is saying that,
    File \ i386\1_int1.nls cant be loaded, error code: 1024.
    It says that when it trys to load Kernaldebugger DLL

The BSOD thing says:
    ***_STOP:_0x000000ED (0x86D63B18,0xc0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

my bios is: Bios revision a04

The CD is the same type, I've had to reinstall my windows with the same disk about 8 months ago.
    What is SP level? Sorry, I dont know that much about computers.

If you need any more information let me know and ill try to find it
    Thanks for helping :D

4. satrow

SP = Service Pack ;)

You have to assume that the hard disk is dying - try to mount the drive on another PC as a slave and copy any personal data off fast!

Once your personal data is safe, you can then run disk diags from the hard drive maker to find out what the problem might be.

5. 123ertuyio

123ertuyio Private E-2

Oh Sh*t! How do I mount the drive??? I have an external harddrive, could that be used for this?
    How can I run anything? I cant access the cmd prompt or anything :/

Edit{
    And I just went to pick my laptop up and I heard this rattling sound coming from inside...
    Do you think one of the circuit bords has come off?

6. satrow

Which make and model laptop is it? Is there a serial number on a sticker somewhere?

7. 123ertuyio

123ertuyio Private E-2

Its a Dell inspiron1300
    and the serial tag is: 9jfq32j

Thanks for the help, means alot

Off topic: Could removing a Program file just by deleting the file(not by going to add/remove programs) cause this?
    cause thats the only thing I can think of that I done yesterday on my laptop. worked 100% fine before that.

8. satrow

Ok, you have a "HARD DRIVE 40GB IDE (5400 RPM)" according to Dell Support, this means that you'll need to find a 44 pin (laptop hard drive) to 40 pin adapter (older desktop/tower hard drive connector) or a 44 pin to USB adapter - the latter will allow you to connect it to any PC but requires an external power source.

This allows connection internally to a PC with a spare IDE channel (not SATA).

This one will connect laptop/desktop IDE drives and laptop/desktop SATA drives via USB.

I don't know where you're based so I can't suggest a more local supplier - at least you know what you need to attempt to get your data off.

9. 123ertuyio

123ertuyio Private E-2

Thanks, you've been so much help on this:)
    Ill get one of theses dilivered asap hopfuly I dont have to get a new hard drive as well.

Will I have to dissasemble my laptop to do that? If so do you know any guides on this?
    If you dont know any thats fine, you helped so much alredy

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  10. satrow

Visit Dell support > Product support, input the Serial Tag and you should be able to access the full stripdown manual (it should only be a few screws), I'll lookup a direct link now.

EDIT: This link should take you straight to the hdd section.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds