Unmountable Boot Volume In Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brijamgel, Feb 14, 2017.

1. brijamgel

brijamgel Private E-2

Hi all! I have an HP Pavilion dv7 running Windows 10 Home Edition.

I was transferring some content from my phone to my PC a few days ago, and since then cannot seem to boot fully into Windows. It gets to the all-black screen with the white window pane logo and then BSOD, with the error Unmountable boot volume. When I did a hard reset, it gets to the same spot and attempts an automatic restore. From there, it just seems to hang.

I haven't seemed to have any issues booting or other indications that the HD could be failing.

Any ideas for things I can try from here? Thanks!

2. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

I hope you have sorted your problem. If not I would recommend trying to boot using a restore point when the machine was working.
    Good luck,
    s.

I found this https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options
    In it:

If your PC won't start and you haven't created a recovery drive, download installation media and use it to restore from a system restore point.

1. On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website.
    2. Download the media creation tool and then run it.
    3. Select Create installation media for another PC.
    4. Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).
    5. Follow the steps to create installation media, and then select Finish.
    6. Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.
    7. On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.
    8. Select Repair your computer. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.

This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems. Restoring from a restore point won’t affect your personal files.

Eldon likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds