Unmountable boot volume

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sandro88, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

Hi everyone,

I started my laptop up yesterday (Sony PGR-GRT916z with Windows XP) and within several minutes my computer froze up and it went to a blue screen, at the top reading: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME.

Now I've read the others threads regarding this and one of the solutions was: run CHKDSK /R from Windows. But when I start my laptop first the Vaio screen comes up, then Windows starts loading and then that blue screen pops up for like a half second and the computer restarts. It's this 20 second loop and it does this over and over. If I hit a F-key it goes to a menu with several options but none of them really do anything.

So my question is: how do I run CHKDSK /R from Windows if my laptop doesn't get beyond loading Windows. Or is there something else I need to try. Also, I don't have the Windows installation cd.

I would like to add that my computer experience is very low. So if someone decides to help me; address as if I'm a 4 year old.

Thanks a bunch.

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Yes, you can run chkdsk off a live Windows disk that can be made with an installed windows on a working pc. Google around.

Tap F8 at boot for safe mode, log in as admin, start, run, cmd, do "chkdsk /r" minus quotes.

3. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

I've tried that now with PE Builder but it didn't work. I think it's because on their site it said that the windows installation files should be on the computer and I guess mine didn't. And since I also don't have a windows installation cd my chances for making a windows live disk are pretty much screwed right?

As much I would love to be able to fix the unmountable boot volume problem on my laptop I don't have an issue with resetting the laptop as long as I can access the C and D drives to copy some of my things.
    I've heard that that would be possible if I had an external hard drive, but I don't. But is there maybe another way that I can access the drives on my laptop?

And one last thing: I also saw a post somewhere of a guy who's computer didn't boot to any mode like mine. And he said something about replacing a 40-wire connector cable for an 80-wire. It also said that on the microsoft site. Would that fix the problem?

4. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

There are quite a number of live windows programs that make bootable windows cd/dvds. I've had success with this:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

I copied the contents of a stock XP to C drive as instructed on that site, clicked a few buttons and waited for an hour or so for making the disk. It works. Not only boot up, but also load all the drivers for my pc. Can go online. Can even update virus definitons. But not install anything though.

That's just one program. There are others.

There are tools like ntfs file manager for dos, but it's a pain in the rear to browse through folders with keyboards. Plus, every file manager has their own keyboard shortcuts/commands. Google them.

I think you can hook the drive up to an external USB enclosure for laptop harddisks. It can be had for as little as $10 at local computer stores.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Boot to your Windows XP disc and enter the recovery console by pressing R at the first screen where you have an option to press R or Enter or F3. This will put you in a DOS like environment. Then type chkdsk C: /r with a space before and after the C: and press Enter. Let it run; it can take over 6 or 8 hours, so be patient. If it looks as though it has locked up, or if the percentage counter goes backward, don't worry. This is all normal and it will finish eventually. When it's done, type exit and press Enter to reboot the PC; remove the XP disc and let it boot to Windows. Hopefully it will load to the desktop (if the hard drive is physically healthy).

Good luck!

6. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

Thanks for responding dlb.
    But I don't have the Windows XP disc. So I'm gonna have to do it the hard way.
    But luckily akhilles is helping me out.

7. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

Yeah but how did you copy the contents to C drive, with a Windows xp installation cd right? Because step 2 on the ubcd site is: insert xp cd in to a cd rom drive.
    But I don't have that cd. I thought it was possible to make a windows live disk on a functioning pc with windows xp without the windows installation disc. Or is this not true?

As you can see I'm pretty confused, I really have very little computer experience.

And is it difficult to retrieve data from a malfunctioning laptop with an external enclosure?

8. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

It needs both the cd & installed drivers for the pc cuz once it boots up off a cd/dvd, it will load drivers from the cd instead of harddisk.

Have you tried dlb's instruction?

9. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

No I haven't tried dlb's instruction because it involves the windows xp disc. And like I've mentioned earlier I don't have it.

Regarding the making of a windows live disk: can I make a windows live disk on a working pc that has windows xp installed on it without a windows xp installation disc?

Because in the step by step explanations of both the PE Builder and UBCD it said that I require the windows xp installation disc.

10. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

11. Racecarlock

Racecarlock Private E-2

Oh, no. Sounds like your hard drive is reaching the end of its life. The same thing happened to me in about 2005-6. Or 2004, I can't remember that well.
    Unmountable boot volume means the computer has stopped reading the hard drive or has simply lost it's connection to it. Even a setup disk won't help because if your computer's giving you an unmountable boot volume error, and it's coming in shorter intervals or at windows startup, then your hard drive is slowly becoming unreadable. Unmountable boot volume could also mean your computer isn't reading the hard drive at all.

12. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

So which one should I use? The first one asks for a 4 dollar contribution but I don't have a credit card and a feeling that says I can get it for free elsewhere.

And I can't find an easy explanation of what I should once I have downloaded a chkdsk program. Can you explain to me exactely what I do once I have one of those programs.

13. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

I wouldn't buy another Sony laptop if they didn't provide a plan B. A rescue disk of some sort. That's another story.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You'll need to know the manufacturer of your hard disk. Burn the download to a cd as image. Boot it up. Go to Hard Disk Diagnostic Tools, select your tool. I can't tell you which one since it's your laptop.

14. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

No the laptop did come with a recovery disc. But that will restore my laptop back to its condition when I first bought it, erasing all my data. And the data is what I'm after, that's why I don't want to use the recover disc.

I'll try the ultimatebootcd now, thanks for your help and patience.
    I'll let you know what happens.

15. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

So I downloaded UBCD4win and installed it on a working pc with Windows xp. But it didn't seem to do what it's supposed to. First of all when I opened it it turned out to be in Russian (even though I selected English at the beginning of the installation) but luckily for me I speak Russian and read it somewhat. So it asked if it should look for Windows files on the computer, I selected yes and it started searching. It searched all drives in just under a minute and it found 0 files.

When I looked on the ubcd site, on the How To section one of the steps was: insert your xp cd. I thought that this option didn't require a windows xp cd seeing as how I don't have one?

16. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

There's a mixup here. You're talking about the UBCD4win which requires both installed Windows and original Windows disk. I'm talking about the Ultimate Boot CD which is a bootable CD for maintaining a PC.

http://mirrors.dotjason.com/ultimate_boot_cd/4.1.1/ubcd411.iso

Burn this iso as IMAGE to a cd/dvd and boot it up.

17. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

There's a mixup here. You're talking about the UBCD4win which requires both installed Windows and original Windows disk. I'm talking about the Ultimate Boot CD which is a bootable CD for maintaining a PC.

http://mirrors.dotjason.com/ultimate_boot_cd/4.1.1/ubcd411.iso

Burn this iso as IMAGE to a cd/dvd and boot it up.

18. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

Yeah sorry that was my bad, I got mixed up on that site. Thanks for the new link.

I'll give this a try.

19. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

I burned it on a cd and booted up with the cd inside but it doesn't boot up from cdrom. Is there something I need to do for it to do that?

I remember when I put in the Sony recovery disc it automatically booted from cdrom but it doesn't do so with this cd.

20. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

It does, but your bios may be set to boot from hard disk 1st. Restart pc, stare at the screen for POST & the key to enter setup/bios, change boot order to:

CD/DVD
    HDD

Also, you need to press a key to boot the CD. I think it's Enter. It's printed on screen.

21. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you also burn it as an ISO and not a data CD? The ISO will self boot but a data CD will not.

22. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

The file is described as an ISO image file on the cd. But I didn't burn it any differently than usual.
    So when burning do I get to choose how I burn the file on the cd?

23. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

another program for you to try is active@ :
    there's a free dos version, and a 10-day demo for windows (i haven't used the dos one, but the demo one worked really good)
    http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm
    I believe the download will also include a program to burn the iso to a cd. Once booted into the program, there's a way to run chkdsk from there.

24. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Boot your comp,and after boot screen,press repeteadly F8 key.to go in safe mode.There you will find in the list of options something like "disable automaticaly restart".Press this and bootup again.Now you will see the BSOD,and post the error message.

25. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

The error message that comes up is the one I described in my first post. It says Unmountable boot volume and beneath that are a bunch of solutions.
    One of them reads: If the problem keeps occurring you have to remove or shut down all hardware and software. Disable BIOS-memory options like caching or making shadow copies.
    And the last line is: Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8635AC08, 0xc0000015, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

And I don't understand any of it. How could I try any of the solutions displayed if my computer shuts down and restarts after the Windows loading screen?

26. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

I burned the Active@ demo onto a cd and it did include a program to burn it.
    I put the cd in my laptop and booted it up and I was so relieved to finally see it do something else than what it has been doing for the last 2 months or so.
    It said loading Windows files, which it did for about a minute or 2 than the famous Windows loading bar came on and then nothing. When the loading bar dissappeared the screen stays black with just a hint of white at the bottom. The laptop doesn't appear to be loading or doing anything.
    I did this like 2 minutes ago so my laptop is still on, I thought maybe this just takes a while. What is supposed to happen normally?

27. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

active@ is running some sort of windows vista...but chopped down to just load the basics, and the few utilities that it has....If it doesn't load, then maybe it's not working with the hardware in your laptop...could be a few things.

28. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

29. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

But I installed active@ on a computer with Windows xp. How can it run Windows vista? And maybe that is is the problem, my laptop runs on windows xp.

I've shut down my laptop since last I wrote. And I've booted it up with the disc inside 2 more times with the same result.

30. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

actually what i was saying is that active@ runs a simple version of windows vista...doesn't matter that you have xp on the laptop...it's unfortunate that you cant run it tho...

31. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

Unfortunate it is.

So I'm thinking I should go out and buy an external hard disk enclosure as Akhilles recommended.
    I did some googling on it because I didn't know what it was. What I gathered is:
    you buy an external hard disk enclosure, take out the hard disk from your computer put it in the enclosure and plug that into another computer to access the data. Is that right?
    Assuming that's how it works, is it difficult getting the hard disk out of a laptop?
    And assuming the hard disk is not defective, when I put it back in my laptop and reset it with my recovery disc should my laptop work again or am I going to have to buy a new hard disk?

I know those are a lot of questions but I would be very grateful if you could answer them for me.

32. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

I'm thinking I should go out and buy an external hard disk enclosure as you recommended.
    I did some googling on it because I didn't know what it was. What I gathered is:
    you buy an external hard disk enclosure, take out the hard disk from your computer put it in the enclosure and plug that into another computer to access the data. Is that right?
    Assuming that's how it works, is it difficult getting the hard disk out of a laptop?
    And assuming the hard disk is not defective, when I put it back in my laptop and reset it with my recovery disc should my laptop work again or am I going to have to buy a new hard disk?

33. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

34. plodr

Remove the battery before you take out the hd. Check the user's manual to see how it is removed.

You want a 2.5" enclosure (notebook hd). There are 148 choices here and I've sorted by highest rated.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&N=2000090092 1053807124&bop=And&Order=RATING
    just to give you an idea if you want to put the drive in an enclosure rather than just have it attached by a connector as chaimjm showed.

35. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

Thanks for that link Plodr it's very helpful.

Do you prefer an enclosure or a connector?

They both do pretty much the same thing right? And if I understood correctly with the connector you don't have to take your hd out and you can hook it up straight to your computer?

36. plodr

I have both. :D I need my geek tools.
    I actually have two enclosures that are 5.25". That way, I can put in a hard drive (from either a desktop or notebook), a CD player or burner or a DVD player or burner into the enclosure.
    Both enclosures are in use. One with a CD burner and the other with a DVD player.

With the connector, you still must remove the hd from the laptop and attach it to the connector and then attach the other end of the connector to the USB port of another computer.

37. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

A 5.25" enclosure sounds very handy indeed I'll need to think about which one I'll choose.

On a sidenote, I'm staying a couple of days at my aunts place in Amsterdam and she has a copy of a Windows installation disc. Only it's the Professional edition and I have the Home edition. Could I run it on my laptop or does the fact that the edtion types differ make it impossible? I'm asking because my laptop is back in The Hague and I don't want to take the cd with me if it's no good to me.

38. plodr

Impossible.You need the same version that you are running.

39. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

Got it. Thanks.

As soon as I get back home I'll check where I can buy an external enclosure and I'll let you know what happens.

40. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

I've purchased a Trust NB-4100P USB2 2.5'' Hard Disk Case (as they apparently call them here in Holland). I didn't have much choice I've been to 3 different shops and this was the best I could get for a reasonable price.

I plugged in my laptop's hd into the enclosure. It comes with software but for some reason it just doesn't work, I need to download a driver but it says there are no drivers for win xp. Anyway so I plugged in the external enclosure to a properly working desktop pc with win xp. At the bottom right of the screen all the usual messages pop up: found new hardware, hardware installed and ready to use etc. Then I got to My Computer the screen just freezes on the top it says: not responding. And the pc is pretty much useless after that, it works horribly slow and eventually I'm forced to shut it down with the power button. If I plug in the enclosure and do nothing a message appears saying something like: you need to run chkdsk on the drive.
    I go online and try to find an a-z explanation of how to run chkdsk seeing as how I've never done it before. But as it happens several different explanations are available. One I've tried goes like this: start, run, cmd, ok, (select drive):, cd\, chkdsk /r and y as in yes. But after I type in chkdsk /r nothing appears after that and nothing else happens. After several tries I unplugged the enclosure and plugged it into my other desktop which runs on Windows vista. I tried the same chkdsk commands and also after several tries it finally got to the last part where it asks if you want to run chkdsk the next time you boot up. I typed in y and rebooted then for about an hour to an hour 1/2 it checked C drive and some other one. One of the things I later only thought of was: how do I know which drive the external one is. For some reason I've been entering d: but obviously that's not it. And when I plug in the enclosure nothing pops up in My Computer.
    So in other words I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Could you explain to me how to properly run chkdsk on that external drive?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  41. plodr

For starters, you don't need software or any drivers when you plug in a USB enclosure holding a harddrive removed from another computer.
    I'm not sure why your computer freezes when you go to My Computer. You should be able to open My Computer and see the USB device listed with a letter designation.

Open from Control Panel the Adminstrative Tools, then Computer Management. Under Storage do you see Removable storage? The external drive might be listed there and you can get the drive letter.

42. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

It doesn't pop up anywhere. I plugged in my camera through the same usb hub and in My Computer I could see it was drive J. So when I plugged my laptop's hd back in and tried to chkdsk J it didn't do anything.

When I plug in the harddisk this message pops up after a while: The file or folder \$Mft is damaged or unreadable. Execute CHKDSK.

I googled this up and although there was a lot of high tech talk I gathered that this is not good, right?

Another thing; just to see what happens I plugged the external enclosure with the harddisk inside into my laptop and started it up. Then I heard the cdrom making noise, I apparently forgot the cd with the Active@ demo on it inside and it started loading windows files like before but unlike last time it didn't freeze up after that. A blue screen with the Active@ logo at the bottom came up along with that screen that you get when you type cmd in run. At the top it reads: "Administrator: Active@ Boot Disk Console". And inside the screen it says: "Starting the System and the Network..."
    It's been almost 3 hours now and there's been no change. I didn't shut the laptop down because I thought maybe it's really going to start windows up.

Will it start up Windows or is this is just going to be like that forever? I'm gonna leave my laptop on for another couple of hours just to be sure.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  43. plodr

I'm not familiar with Active@ BootDisk so I can't answer that.

Also just because your camera was assigned the letter J, that doesn't mean that the external enclosure would also be assigned the letter J. So chkdsk did nothing because J was no longer on the system.

When you go to Control Panel and Admin Tools then Computer Management and click on storage then Disk Management, do you see a Drive1?
    Drive0 would be the internal hard drive.

44. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

Disk 1 stays empty when I plug in the external harddisk. And then next to Disk Management it says Not responding just like My Computer does.
    When I unplugged the hd 2 messages pop, one says: The disk in drive I: needs to be formatted in order to use it. Do you want to format the disk?
    The other says the same about drive J:. I don't get why the hd gets 2 drives assigned.

So I need to format the hd but I can't because my data is on it. I can pretty much assume that I'm never getting my stuff back again right?

45. plodr

That usually indicates a problem with a drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302
    1. A damaged file system says to do this:
    Since you don't have an XP CD, you can't try that.
    2. We can rule out the 40 pin vs 80 pin cable because it is a laptop.

3. The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.
    Can you get into the BIOS and see if the settings have changed?
    If not, that solution is out.

Summary: you are now faced with two solutions
    a) since nothing seems to work to get the laptop drive recognized, format it and lose everything
    b) find an XP disk which is the same as yours - Home, I believe, and borrow it to run chkdsk /r

46. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

I returned the external enclosure.
    I'm gonna try the BIOS option that you mentioned and I'll do some more asking around for a WinXP installation disc.

47. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

I've finally found a Windows XP home edition cd!
    I booted up from it and it started loading all kinds of Windows files. Then I had 2 options to either install Windows or repair it. I went for repair and a black screen appeared with the option to type in commands concerning C drive. I entered chkdsk /r and it checked it up to 25% and then this line appeared: There seems to be 1 or more irrepairable problems.
    I tried it 2 more times with the same result and there was nothing left to do but exit. I was bummed beyond believe.

I thought that with the Winxp cd I would be able to access desktop and run chkdsk from Start. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this the end of the line for my harddisk seeing as how there is "1 or more irrepairable problems" on it?

48. plodr

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302
    there is one other thing to try.
    It says that if chkdsk /r doesn't work, then at step 5, try fixboot
    but I suspect there is a problem with your hard drive that can't be fixed.

49. Sandro88

Sandro88 Private E-2

I tried fixboot but it also didn't work.

I'll just buy a new harddisk so that atleast my laptop will be working. I'll keep the old hd just in case someday someone can fix it and I can get my data off of it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds