unmountable boot volume

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tampavik, Sep 19, 2004.

1. tampavik

tampavik Private E-2

when i boot up my hp i get this error. they system will not let me boot to safe mode. any ideas ?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Boot to CD, choose recovery console.

chkdsk /r

3. tampavik

tampavik Private E-2

what if i don't have a cd ?

4. tampavik

tampavik Private E-2

i finally got into award b setup utility. can i do anything from here ?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No.

You really need the or a, CD. Just so long as its XP.

Not even the XP boot floppies will help you here.

Unmountable Boot Volume usually means that XP cannot read your filesystem.

The chkdsk fixes it.

6. shadowfx

shadowfx Private E-2

I've also got this problem, but I cannot access the recovery console from the CD. how can i fix this?

7. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

PC Vendors do not give the authentic Windows CD along with the system, users get a 'Restore CD' and may be a separate 'Application Recovery CD' but not an actual Windows CD which would not allow users to access the Windows Recovery Console as far as I know.
    You could get another drive and hook this troubled drive as 'slave' and you might be able to access or at least recover the important files even if you would have to use 3rd party utilities.
    Assuming the Drive itself is good, the ultimate solution is to re-install everything to the factory default installation status.

PS. If the 'Recovery Console' was enabled before the system crash, try borrowing an XP CD and boot to it to access the recovery console...then you'd know for sure.
    If I misunderstood and gave you irrelevant info I am sorry but wanted to state my opinion on the situation.
    Good Luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds