unmountable_boot_volume... Pls Help!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sonialei77, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Sonialei77

Sonialei77 Private E-2

I haveHP Pavillion 750n that had been working fine until I began getting a blue screen after only a few seconds of showing the "Windows XP home edition" screen.

I've read a few articles about it and I know that the system file is damaged. I've tried resetting the source from which it loads... including trying safe mode and every other option it gives me and nothing works. I've tried several xp cd's and niether have worked.

I know it's not my monitor as it loads up like it did when I first got it. I had some problems with it a few months ago and had to run the destructive recovery process as my modem and other hardware devices stopped working. It was fine, worked pretty darn good actually and now this happens.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

If you have a WinXP disc, this should take care of your problem.

1. Make sure the computer is set to BOOT from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

2. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

3. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

4. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.

6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
    Note: If you do not have one, just press ENTER.

7. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and then press ENTER.

8.Once it has cmopleted, type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.

Let me know if you have ANY problems with these instructions.

3. Sonialei77

Sonialei77 Private E-2

when it asks which windows installation would I like to log on to, it doesn't let me type but 1 letter

4. w0ts0n

w0ts0n Private E-2

That's because you have to select which install of windows you would like to check. I would recommend doing both just to be sure.

So press 1 then hit enter then type chkdsk /r
    once it's done restart and do 2.

-Ryan

5. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

When it ask which installation, choose C:\WINDOWS, this is assuming you have Windows installed there. If so, choose 1 and press enter.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds