Unnecessary Programs At Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Global2004, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Global2004

Global2004 Private First Class

Hello All,

I'm running Startup CPL as has been suggested in other posts. Could someone with MajorGeeks assist me in using the program and determaning what programs are really nessasary at startup?

Cheers,
    Global

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi...have you found the program to open it? It looks like it from your edit message?

If so, go through the tabs and see what is starting up. The bulk of the programs should be under the HKLM/Run.

You can list any here you aren't sure of.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

From this link: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

That's what the author of CPL says.

CPL works fine for me on XP Home.

EDIT: didn't see the edit message before I posted this reply.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  4. Global2004

Thanks for your quick reply. I've attached a snapshot of the program for you to have a look.

Cheers,
    Global

Attached Files:

5. LauraR

You can definitely uncheck:

Adobe Reader
    Sun Java Update Scheduler
    HP Health Check
    HP Software Updater (this is up to you...if it were mine, I'd get rid of it)
    LogitechQuickCamRibbon
    LogitechCommunicationsManager(?) --This is probably for a webcam? You don't need it starting up if that is the case.
    Roxwatchtray

A great place to check out startup items is this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Search for the file (with no spaces just as it is listed)

6. Global2004

Thank you LauraR,

One question though. When I go to uncheck an item, it then makes an unchecked duplicate above it.

So for example:

(unchecked) RoxWatchTray
    (checked) RoxWatchTray

Am I doing something wrong???

Thanks again for your help.
    Global:)

Attached Files:

7. LauraR

Hi Global

Sorry, but I'm not sure what is going on. I've never seen that.

You should be able to uncheck it and then just exit out of the program. Are these duplicates being created immediately after you uncheck them?

Btw, what is that first item that doesn't have any description?

8. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Global delete the first/the one on top and disable the next entry. Each time one of them update you will have to remove from start up again.

Cheers..

9. LauraR

Yeah, I thought of that too sikvik, but what is really odd is that every single process recreated itself. It seems like more is going on, right?

10. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I can't give an educated response as to why as it's happened to me as well. On both XP and Vista. But deleting the top one works.
    We need to know, what issues Global's got.
    We have no idea of hardware.
    I've run highly tweaked XP - services and all. An additional stick of RAM (mine needed it) blows all the tweaks to glory.

Cheers..

11. Global2004

Thanks you Sikvic and LauraR.

I right clicked on the top duplicate and deleted it. GONE
    I then right clicked on the other and selected Disable and it made another duplicate. Grrrrrrr.

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Global

12. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

This is most likely caused by the parent program itself - it's just doing what it's been told to do, if a startup entry is being demanded by the program...usually, these startups are tools used by the program to check for updates, install tray tools, etc...

If you're feeling froggy, you can explore the programs' install folders (usually in System Root / Program Files) and manually edit out any obvious tray tool / updater entries, but the usual caveats apply...

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've never right-clicked to disable. I simply click on the check/tick and it is removed from the box.

I've managed to get everything not checking for updates and off the tray area if I do not want them there.

Do you have some sort of program "protecting" changes made to your startup? A security program might do something like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds