Unofficial service Pack Windows 98 SE crashed my system

Discussion in 'Software' started by redraider40, Jul 29, 2004.

1. redraider40

redraider40 Private E-2

I downloaded the "unofficial" service pack from this site for Windows 98 SE and when I installed and rebooted, my machine booted into safe mode promping me to re-install windows. After cancelling that I rebooted and the same thing happened. I rebooted again and it tried to restore my registry and it still when to the setup screen. I wen through the first 3 dialog boxes and I started getting blue screen Virtual Device (VxD) errors.

I had to put my 98 SE cd in and reinstall. After that, although my apps continued to work, they were absent from the Add\Remove applet in the Control Panel. I had to reinstall all apps to fix this.

I strongly advise against installing this "unofficial" Service Pack.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

There isn't a Service Pack for Win9x. The unofficial one is just a roll-up of all the existing patches released by MS so you don't have to download and install 400 patches one by one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds