Unplugged computer, does not turn back on, beeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rocktot, May 1, 2013.

1. Rocktot

Rocktot Private First Class

I unplugged my old Dell with Win XP, and tried turning it back on but the little button light just blinks. If I hold it, it turns off. Its like its in sleep mode, and I did have to push the button to turn back on. The internet cable board lights up in back, one little green button, but thats it, plus a slight beeping noise as the button light blinks. Help me Obie-Wan!!

Pretty sure I turned it all off, because I was using the other old crappy computer with that plug. :cry

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

What model of "old Dell" do you have? There may be a power supply or BIOS problem (you say that the computer beeps) that one or more of the experts may help you diagnose.

3. Rocktot

Its a Dell 8100, but the beeping is really low sounding. There is no way I accidentally switched it over to 'European' power standards with the red switch, but I wonder if that would hurt it if I tried that?

The 'beeping' coincides with the blinking light. It will not turn on a monitor or fans, just the light on the cable router card and the on-button that blinks. I wonder if I did turn it OFF when I unplugged or just put it in stand-by? The light blinks in standby, its like in permanent standby. YOu have to push the button to get out of it, not move a mouse.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have a look at this thread and what a Dell Service Tech told the poster to do. It may help.

5. Rocktot

Well, I had it plugged in over-night, and turned it on this AM! I pressed very lightly and it turned on, from the beginning though, so I did turn it off all the way. I usually hold down the button before connecting things to discharge the capacitor though. But it seems that its in the same league of problems. Thanks. I still don't get what the sleep mode thing was? Oh well..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds