Unsecure Router Setup By Provider?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TarmanLives, Feb 17, 2016.

1. TarmanLives

TarmanLives Private E-2

I'm in a split home and share my neighbor's wireless network. She gave my brother her password and he added it to my laptop. I've since had some unknown usage in Edge and many apps, despite the fact that I can no longer open apps. I removed the network and re-added it and it turns out the password is the same as the network name except that the name adds a 1. I asked her who set it up and she said that Comcast/Xfinity set up her TV and PC. There is no way her password has been changed as she doesn't know how (I had to explain what a router was) and lives alone. Obviously he should know better than to set it this way. Could the installer have been trying to take advantage of someone with no computer knowledge and leave her vulnerable? The router is net accessible and has a Rom-0 infection. I've never dealt with router issues or patches but I'm worried the same installer may be the one sent to "fix" everything as it's a small town. Will resetting the router and using a stronger password be enough or does the firmware have to be downloaded no matter what?

Not sure it's coincidence that my touch screen is now disabled and I can't turn off Adv. VPN settings or even see Bluetooth settings except for the icon (showing as "on") in the notifications sidebar. I apparently have many Wireless Network Adapters now (up to #13) but can only access Wi-Fi and Ethernet settings.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The answer, which may be unpalatable, is to get your own internet connection. Sharing one with a neighbour is a very undesirable situation.

3. TarmanLives

TarmanLives Private E-2

The sharing was simply a matter of convenience as I spend most of the year working out of state. I simply use the local pay-as-you-go wi-fi now. However, I'm still concerned for her as she is a friend and this wouldn't be the first time a "professional" tried to take advantage of her lack of computer knowledge. I've explained to her the basic problem and that I can change her password for her but needed to make sure that would be enough at this point; anything more advanced and I'd help her explain to Comcast so they can come and take care of it (hopefully f.o.c.).

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I would change both the username and password required to access the router, and change the wireless password she uses. I would also run a few security scans on both her computer and yours. Even safer of course would be to switch off wifi on her router and use a cable.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Does she have a Comcast supplied Gateway? (modem/router combo). If she has triple play that is what she has to use. I help some senior citizens who are Comcast customers using triple play and they have a gateway.
    You can not turn wifi off because Comcast has free hotspots. If you are a customer and away from home with no hotspot, you can login to any Comcast signal you find and use it. So if I were near your neighbor and saw her wifi signal, I'd use my Comcast credentials to login and use part of her router to go on the internet.

I have Comcast but no triple play so I supply my own modem (purchasing one locally from BestBuy that is on Comcast's approved list) and my own separate router. I've had this set up since 2004. I've changed the modem once and I have another DOCSIS # modem ready to be swapped out when we lose power. (I hate dealing with getting everything powered down then up again and working on all the devices on the network).

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't know anything about this, but is there any way the Comcast guy could have detected the connection sharing? I assume they wouldn't like this or at least I think it used to be unlawful.

My question about the above is, are the settings problems, touch screen issue, and the detected adapter issue associated directly with the firmware issue? Again, I know nothing about this, but I am wondering if whoever worked on her PC altered the firmware and maybe tried to pose as you somehow when accessing your friend's network...like somehow the tech/someone used an adapter that because of the firmware change Windows read as on your PC, while it was really on someone else's. I suppose it would be possible to alter a single adapter through its firmware or through some add on hack to appear as a different one each time it is used. This is what I guess you are saying worries you, but I wanted to make sure I understand the issue. Creepy, and I would sure want to get to the bottom of what is happening, even if it isn't your internet account and router.

This kind of thing is scary when thinking about how many times a service tech has access to PCs that the users have no idea how to configure. I have wondered about it before myself, while reading stories of other users. Do we just have to hide our router from techs when they arrive to make repairs?

I think I would go for the firmware repair/installation, but not until I was able to hear from the maker of the router about what to do and how to be safe. It would be mostly curiosity to see if the firmware fix would fix the settings and adapter issues. That would be a convincing bit of evidence that the tech did mess with the router firmware.

I guess I am mostly seeking a deeper understanding of this. Sorry if my questions don't make sense...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds