unsolveable problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nolimitz055, Jun 7, 2004.

1. nolimitz055

nolimitz055 Private E-2

ok i have an unsolveable problem i have been working on for weeks... i found an old laptop in my basement which had a broken cdrom drive, broken floppy drive, and a dialup modem insted of a 10/100 ethernet. i formatted its harddrive and am in question as to how i can send information to its harddrive.. i have only one idea to use the parallel port. i have a parallel port cable but there is no dos on the laptop given that it is formatted. (only bios) .. i have tried connecting the harddrive to my desktop but it doesnt match. i dont have another laptop to switch harddrives with.. does anyone have any ideas on how to use the parallel port to send os information to the laptop's harddrive?

2. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

Bios is going to look for a drive (hard disk, cd rom, floppy, etc. ) to find an OS. I believe you are going to have to get your cd or your floppy working in order to load an OS.
    How did you format the hard disk? Did it have a working OS on it?

3. nolimitz055

nolimitz055 Private E-2

it had windows 95 on it . i used a windows 98 startup disk to execute format.. but once it was formatted i couldnt get the floppy disk to work to get even an older version of windows on it.

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

No CD-ROM, no floppy, and no ethernet connection... I don't know how you could install windows. You might be able to get a replacement CD-ROM and floppy drive on ebay for cheap.

5. nolimitz055

nolimitz055 Private E-2

that was my last resort.. i am still curious if there is a possible way to connect my laptop to my desktop with the parrallel ports and send information from the desktop to it with some kind of application or command.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds