Unwanted Restart after Waking from Sleep

Discussion in 'Software' started by krekerohan, Aug 13, 2015.

1. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

When waking computer from Sleep mode it does not return to the desktop. Instead, bootup screen appears as if the computer is in middle of restart. Then, screen appears that says "Windows Did Not ShutDown Correctly." After selecting "Start Windows Normally" the desktop appears no problem.

What is causing the computer to restart and report an unsuccessful shutdown after waking from Sleep and can it be corrected?

Windows 10 (recent upgrade from Windows 7 - this problem occurred in Win7 too)

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Something to check:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, right click your Local Area Connection, select properties.

This should open your network adapter settings and you can check power management settings there.

[​IMG]

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Doubled, sorry

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  4. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

Thanks for your reply!

I cleared the checkbox for "Allow computer to turn off this device...", put computer to sleep, prompted it to awake but no change in behavior. Computer did not wake to desktop and seemed to be in mid-restart as before.

5. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

No worries. :cool

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have a look at your Power Plan settings.

7. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

And then...?

Have tried numerous power plan configurations with no change to behavior. Not sure this is where the issue lies.

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Look carefully at each setting. You can create your own Power Plan.

9. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

OK. Thanks. Already tried this. Let me know if you have something more specific with respect to power plans.

10. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

It seems that your PC is Blue Screening when trying to wake from sleep.
    The best way to diagnose the problem is by inspecting the dump files produced.
    If your PC is configured to produce Minidumps, then they should be in the Windows\Minidump directory.
    If you have any minidumps then compress them in a zip file and attach the zip to a subsequent post.
    If you don't have any dumps, then follow the instructions at http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html to configure your PC to generate Minidumps. Once you have some then zip and attach.

HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

11. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

Update: I no longer get the "Windows Did Not Shutdown Correctly" screen when computer wakes so that part of the issue is apparently gone. (Note: this screen was not a traditional bright blue BSOD - It was the black screen that offered other bootup options like Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/Networking, Boot Windows Normally, etc.)

However, the computer still does not go directly to the desktop when waking from sleep which is the behavior I want to reacquire. Instead, it appears to do a full restart. Can this be corrected?

Do you still need minidumps?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  12. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Do you have either a Microsoft Win 7 installation disk or a Win 7 System Recovery disk (you make the latter yourself)? If you have either try running startup repair. It can't harm your system but will make certain that your boot configuration is as it should be.

13. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately, I do not have installation or recovery discs.

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

15. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

=========
    I created a recovery disk and ran Startup Repair without success. Windows returned the message "Startup Repair could not Repair your PC." Also see attached logfile which says "the operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair."

Please recall from my original post that the operating system in use is Windows 10. Also, the issue does not involve startup per se. The problem is that when the computer awakens from SLEEP mode it does not return to the desktop - instead it restarts. So, startup works fine - it's just that it happens when it's not supposed to.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

==========

I created a recovery disk and ran Startup Repair without success. Windows returned the message "Startup Repair could not Repair your PC." Also see attached logfile which says "the operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair."

Please recall from my original post that the operating system in use is Windows 10. Also, the issue does not involve startup per se. The problem is that when the computer awakens from SLEEP mode it does not return to the desktop - instead it restarts. So, startup works fine - it's just that it happens when it's not supposed to.

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds