updated driver won't let laptop restart

Discussion in 'Software' started by fatbottoms, Jun 4, 2009.

1. fatbottoms

fatbottoms Private E-2

i just updated the driver for my graphic card nvidia GeForce 8200M G with this driver 8.15.11.8585 ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_noteb...85.85_whql.html ) replacing the hp driver ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3795258
    ).

and now everything seems to stream better and the gaming experience has improved, but my laptop won't restart when i click on the start menu and restart option.

while the laptop doesn't completely shut down, it just stay frozen with a blank screen perpetually, so i have to manually shut it down by pressing the button and starting it over again.

i know that it's the nvidia driver because when i go back to the oem driver from hp, it works fine again.

does anybody know what i can do because i'd rather have the nvidia driver from their site, as it makes everything stream better, but not being able to restart it is driving me crazy.

i have a hp g60-120us model running vista home premium 32.

i also use a samsung hdtv as my external monitor, but i don't think this makes a difference because even without the hdtv hooked up, it won't restart.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm... have you tried to contact HP with this information? They may have a fix or an update planned. Contacting nVidia would probably go nowhere as they would say "use the HP driver and/or contact HP support". Occasionally, OEM drivers (from NVidia in this scenario) don't quite work 100% when compared to the manufacturer's version of the drivers. Obviously, you found this out on your own. Have you installed the latest updates and SP1 for Vista? It may or may not make a difference, but it's worth a try.

3. Chuckycr

Chuckycr Private E-2

In addition to what dlb said, have you tried uninstalling the old NVIDIA driver, rebooting, and then installing the new one? That's what worked for me. (Also turning off my anti-virus during install too). Perhaps you could also try downloading a fresh copy if you haven't already. Maybe the one you had was a bad download? Finally, HP has a BIOS update on their website for your machine. It could be that you need to do this in order for this latest driver to work.

Good luck.

4. fatbottoms

fatbottoms Private E-2

thanks for replying, it worked.

although it didn't work the first time i did the reinstall with all the updates from hp site including bios, i uninstalled and downloaded yet again, and it worked this time around.

this driver's been problematic for numerous people as it has it's own thread on the nvidia forum listing all the bugs from many people who have rolled back to the old driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds