updated mozilla and it all went downhill.....

Discussion in 'Software' started by sailinstud420, Aug 5, 2005.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 Private E-2

Hey guys I need a hand. I have mozilla firefox 1.0 and recently tried to update to the newer version, well the download went well and I was able to get the program going but I was not able to get on the net. Somehow my settings must have got all screwed up and now I have no internet at all, including using internet explorer. DOes anyone have any ideas on what to do? The computer was on a network of sort, but all my other computers are still working, so I don't know what the problem is. I have since deleted mozilla (I LOST ALL MY BOOKMARKS!!!) and tried to reinstall but still am having no luck. Where does mozilla save your bookmarks when you make them anyways? I have never been able to find them to back em up. Please help!

2. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

sit tight sailin i'm sure you'll get the help you need to fix your problem...

i'd like to know where the bookmarks are stored as well... when i upgrade to newer version of firefox, i uninstall via Add/Remove programs.. this usually deletes the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files... However when i install the new version of firefox, my extensions and favorites are always preserved... so i'm not really sure where they are being stored because i am never backing them up....

3. AliWiseman

AliWiseman Private First Class

What OS are you using? A System Restore point on XP should be able to sort the settings problem, but an installation of an update of Firefox shouldnt alter your net connection settings at all. They are completely independant as far as i'm aware.
    Hope this helps, and im off now to try n find out where firefox bookmarks are stored for future reference lol

Alistair

4. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Bookmarks and other browsing data are kept in your Firefox profile. Here's a link to an article about the Profile folder that tells how to locate it on all OSes:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

5. sailinstud420

I am running windows xp and tried a system restore but I had no luck. Doesn't windows normally create a restore point prior to any program installations? Because this time it did not and I think the problem is so old now I can't even go back far enough. Anyone have any ideas on what internet settings to check?

6. sailinstud420

is anyone out there? I need help asap. Please help me.

I am about ready to kill my computer!

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Okay, you say that firefox can run, but can't browse the internet. Do you have a firewall? Perhaps it is being blocked.

This new version you installed was version 1.06? Or one of the nightly builds?

I don't believe that firefox triggers a system restore event.

8. sailinstud420

I tried to install 1.06 yes, how can I check on this firewall issue? I am computer retarded so be specific. thanks.

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

You said ealier that you have XP.

Anway, do you have any firewalls that sound like:

Norton Internet Security
    Mcafee
    Zonealarm
    Sygate

10. sailinstud420

I do not have any firewalls like that, I had zone alarm but I do not anymore. I was thinking that there was possibly a firewall setting on internet explorer or on XP that was messing me up. If I go to the network settings and view the status of my "local area connection" i am sending and recieving packets, so what gives? It is probably something really simple, I just don't know what. Thanks for the advice, I look forward to a response.

11. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

okay i have an idea but it's a long shot....

go to start, control pannel, add/remove programs, click on set program access and defaults on the bottom left side, then expand the custom tab by clicking on those two downward facing arrows, under choose a default web browser, make sure you have Mozille Firefox checked off and on the right side make sure you have the box checked off for Enable Access To This Program... not sure why that would become unchecked, but if it's an option, that could be the culprit...

hope that somehow helps....

12. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Many firewalls see new Firefox versions as new programs, so you have to reconfigure the firewall each time you update Firefox. IE should still work, though, I don't understand that part.

13. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

I don't use windows fire wall so I am unfamiliar with it but could it be blocking it?

14. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Since the Windows firewall blocks only incoming traffic, I don't see how it could. I know I've never had any problem like that with it.

I have seen reports on the Firefox support forum where firewalls had not uninstalled properly and were causing problems, it might be worthwhile to search for leftover files from ZoneAlarm.

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

This may or maynot work. Renaming firefox.exe to someother name, like foxfire.exe may have some progress...

Just a thought.....

16. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

No, not always.

If the program installs using the Microsoft Installer (*.msi), then it will automatically create a restore point.

17. sailinstud420

I tried releasing and renewing and had no luck...

ANHEDONIC- I tried doing what you said to do but it didnt go as you described, I got lost at "click on set program access and defaults on the bottom left side" I saw no such option in that window, is that because something is being hidden?

Anyone have any ideas? I did an ipconfig/all and the results are not correct compared to the other computers, I have no primary dns suffix and my ip address is all messed up... Let me know what else you can think of to help. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds