Updating my bios and ran into some problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-15281db623, May 5, 2004.

1. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

]edit]

Hi,
    I am trying to update my bios on my xfx board. I downloaded a pdf file that gives me the steps to do this. Step one says to insert a dos bootable floppy and then unzip the files to the disk.

I did this and then restarted the computer. when it boots from the floppy it says that it is not a system disk and to insert a new disk and restart. I then tried making a bootdisk from my winME computer. I then unzipped the files to the disk. It runs ok but in the middle of the back up for my current bios it eather stops and freezes or runs out of disk space. I really dont know what to do here. Please help me out.

Thanks,

Cooked

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

question........which floppy did you put in first? and what was your 'mistake'? did you already flash your system ? NOT sure if this will work (since it looks like u half erased ur bios) in ur situation but try removing the battery for 90s and putting it back in

3. Anon-15281db623

well i only used one floppy. I had the boot files and the bios on the same disk. I will pull out the battery and try again. here is the link to the pdf i loaded. its at the bottom of the page.

thanks for your help.

[edit]

this is the first time i have ever flashed the bios

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

seems pretty simple instructions; try another floppy? or formatt that floppy and try it again...maybe its a bad FDD

edit: curious.......what are the instructions after you insert the floppy into the drive and the auto bios update goes?

edit2: Im just soooo happy i have gigabyte mobo's :D

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  5. Anon-15281db623

well a screen just pops up. it says it is creating a back up of my current bios. I have no options to choose. It just runs by itself. It then freezes right in the middle. the drive stops cranking and everything just stops.

[edit] ya i am going with one in my next system.

6. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

try another floppy, formatt that same floppy and try it again or finnaly try another FDD thats sittin around...maybe its a bad FDD

7. Anon-15281db623

well i put the battey back in and now i get a
    Floopy disk fail (80)
    CMOS checksum error. - Defaults loaded

[edit] nevermind its working now

8. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

eh......what the crap....can you get into bios?

9. Anon-15281db623

i went into the bios and got it back to the way it was.

10. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

do you still get floppy disk fail?

11. Anon-15281db623

ok now when it boots i get some wierd stuff

client mac addr numbers a bunch or f's and a " no boot file name received"

12. Anon-15281db623

disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter

13. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

:eek:

/quietly steps into another random post...

lol; but seriously I would get on the phone ASAP with xfx and give em a piece of my mind;) worse comes to worse they can send u another board......

edit: do you still have your floppy as 1st boot?

14. Anon-15281db623

Ok,
    Thanks, now the bios wont even reccoginze my stuff. no ide drives and it says my pocessor is an 1800!

I am going to give it to them alright

[edit] now it is back to normal but it is booting to cd now even when i have it set to floppy in the bios. :rolleyes:

15. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

if its booting to CD can you do a "repair" and reboot back to wxp w/o losing your info?

16. Anon-15281db623

well i not worried about any of my info the hdd is empty..i was doin a reinstall and wanted to update my bios as well.

17. Anon-15281db623

now i have tried to use a boot disk and that wont ever work now.

[edit] well it looks like i am going to have to wait till tomorrow to talk to some one there office is closed now...thanks for the help omegamerc. ill let you know how it goes.

thanks,

cooked

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  18. Anon-15281db623

Hi,

I have been working with my computer today and here is what i got.
    I got my bios to read everything correctly. My cpu, memory and ide drives are all ok.
    Now my problem is my computer won't boot to floppy. I have my bios set to boot to floppy first but i keep getting some wierd stuff.

There is a pci device listing

-a whole bunch of information-

Verifying DMI Pool Data
    Boot From CD :
    Boot From CD :
    Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter

Its wierd because i have tried boot disks from my 98 computer and my ME computer as well as differnent boot files from bootdisk.com. and even changed floppy disks!

I really dont know what is going on. I called the company and there offices are closed to Monday.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Cooked

19. Anon-15281db623

well i finally got it to work. I had to switch out my floppy drive and, use one disk to boot the computer up and another to have the bios on. XFX support wasnt much help, and i would like to thank you Omegamerc, for helping me out!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

Cooked

20. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

glad you got it fixed; didnt think you would need double the floppies!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds