Updating My Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bladewingdragon24, Nov 20, 2016.

1. bladewingdragon24

bladewingdragon24 Private E-2

i5 - 2310 cpu @2.90ghz
    windows 7
    8 gigs of ram
    64 bit
    desktop

What im looking for is a new graphics card i play online games like star wars the old republic and a few others.
    Im looking for one that can support two monitors Im at a loss at the moment i dont know if i have to have a new power unit for it or if its water cooled how do you refill it if its refillable things like that so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

We (and you) need a lot more information first.

You need to inspect your current power supply unit (PSU) and read the label to determine its capability. When it comes to graphics card, it is the current on the 12VDC rails that is most important. And since graphics cards are often the most power hungry devices in our computers, you need to ensure your PSU can support a new card, or be prepared to buy a new PSU with your new card.

As for not knowing if your system is water cooled or not, I find that a bit confusing as it seems to me if it was water cooled, you would already know that. Do you see hoses running to your CPU cooler (or graphics card)? Most water cooled systems today are sealed so you should not have to refill them. If you do have a water cooled system and water has leaked out, I would be more concerned about water in the electronics!

Also, some cases are slim and/or not very deep and therefore may restrict the size or height of the card they support. If you have a standard "mid" tower case or larger, that should not be a problem. But if you have a slim case in particular, you may need a "low-profile" card.

Lastly, you need to set a budget. If budget is not a concern, then this looks good. ;)

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Wow. That is a WICKED card.

4. Digerati

They are only a couple inches wide and long and weight just a pound or two. Might as well get two! ;)

5. bladewingdragon24

sorry about the water cooled part it was another question. in regards to as you said if i need a new power supply for the the card i was curious about if i needed to get a new power supply as well since its a stock computer? now as for the water cooling the question that i meant to ask is i know systems are water cooled but if i went that way can you refill them if need be?
    i have not looked to see what power supply i have yet but will as soon as i can i put a report of what my computer is if it is at all helpful.

ps that card looks nice but it is way out of my price range i was hoping for under 200 bucks

Attached Files:

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The water coolers are sealed (for leakage protection). No refilling needed because evaporation doesn't take place.

7. bladewingdragon24

Alright thank you for that @mdonah have been wondering about that.
    And thank you @Digerati for getting back to me so fast

8. Digerati

Being a "stock computer" is not the issue. Any time with any computer if add new hardware that needs more power, you must ensure the current power supply is able to meet those increased demands. If not, then you MUST replace the power supply with a more capable power supply.

And note this is often needed with factory built computers because it is common for computer makers to include power supplies that are barely adequate from the start. To keep their prices competitive, that makes sense. If the computer only needs a 300W power supply, it would simply add to the purchase price needlessly to include a 600W supply.

You typically can add more RAM or a drive without worrying about more power. But again, graphics cards are very power hungry so it is common to need a bigger supply when upgrading graphics.

9. bladewingdragon24

alright thank you @Digerati for your help im going to have to save more money now lol hope everyone has a safe and happy thanks giving if you atr in the us and around the world be safe.

10. Digerati

You are welcome and Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.

11. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds