Updating Pc Build Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrBloody369, Nov 27, 2010.

1. MrBloody369

MrBloody369 Private E-2

With my current system I never had issue's in the past with for being a 32 bit OS system windows xp.. But since I now work at home PC demands have gotten much higher and is abused much more then used to be...

7 days a week this pc is contently uploading and downloading avi/mkv format video's and converting/encoding them to other format's, wile muxing some for they come out right wile watching netflex or BD on other monitor wile farming gaming in eve or wow during my 14 hour work day's...

Just recently I had a major locup of the pc with resources barley being touched at all wile only Converting a BD mkv file and watching a AVI file I just converted to make sure audio and sub's matched I started to here crakling then system froze for 30 min(seriously) but still playing video with crackling sound and slight delay of and on, but all attempts on 2nd monitor to do any thing was frozen.. Then after I finally got the video file to stop playing(X'ing it out) go a blue screen of death.. with no dump-logs from the memory dump at all to read to see what the issue is..(probably due to corrupt driver)

After the Pc let me start it back up of course gave error cant read boot sector of hhd, so went to safe mode ran some clean up utility's. Then proceeded to start up pc boot is it's normal fast till it hits windows load up screen then where talking about 5-10 till i can logen then about 10-25min till every thing loads up..

Any idea's platform I built my pc based on was ment for 64 bit all the way so i was thinking about ordering 12gigs ddr tri memory(no thrill memory)for about 180$ and new graphic card since mine is a cheap one as it is but was the cheapest to have hdmi out.

But I'm not sure..

Open to any suggestions really

MrB

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum MrBloody:) 12gb is a ridiculous large amount of memory that you will never use,6GB is plenty so go for a smaller amount of higher quality 1600mhz lower latency memory if your going to upgrade and dump or sell the 3gb of 1333mhz,another 3gig of matched 1333mhz memory would also be a welcome upgrade.

I've just edited this whole post right down as I've just understood what your asking.

Post your operating system and again welcome.:)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, that's a good machine man! Have you gone back to bare bones yet? Meaning pulling out the sound card and all except for one RAM stick and anything else as USB devices etc. Run OCCT to check for heat and Memtest86+ to check your RAM for starters. Damn man, I have an i7 + an SSD and I'd be really pissed! Put your stuff back in one at a time, troubleshooting is never fun.:( Good luck!

4. MrBloody369

MrBloody369 Private E-2

Thank you all for your advice

OCCT stop's the test 6 min in due states "too hot" @ 82, normal ideal is @ 42 , but in all onisty even when i got every thing running @ once it never goes past 50% CPU usage.. (seams 80 was default for max cpu temp.. still looking for correct info to set it to and run again)

Mem test came back with no error's

And I kinda removed and uninstalled every thing last night and reinstalled every thing from scratch(except cpu and heat sink) just got the sound card to finish reinstalling.

Sorry about that running windows xp 32bit atm, and the reason I was think of doing that much memory I was thinking of setting up mutable virtual boxes on my pc running converting/encoding

5. augiedoggie

Even 80C is too hot to run continuously, I keep my machine at a max of 70C. At any rate, unless you've overclocked your machine you should not reach even 70C at %100 CPU with the stock heat sink fan(HS/F), I was even able to overclock my 930 to 3.4GHz and running at %100 and only hit 70C with the stock HS/F.

There's something wrong between your CPU and HS/F, I would take the HS/F off, clean the old pad off of both surfaces until shiny with a minimum of %70 isopropyl alcohol(cheap) and reapply with Artic Silver 5 as per the video below. Do not put more compound than shown in the video as more is not better in this case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRRWbQUqW1Y

6. MrBloody369

MrBloody369 Private E-2

Well picked up the T.G. earlier and ordered an H70 and my memory, just got to wait for it to get on my door stop atm(garinted before x-mass so nice)...

I did noticed the board built in over clock switched did some how got slipped over, so that going back to null when I shut down next...

Also set pc to auto force shut down if pcu hits 65c to be safe.

I am also going to be preforming an repair to the OS to see that increase windows boot up speed back to normal.

7. augiedoggie

You're getting an H-70 eh? I'd like to compare numbers with you as I have an H-50. Damn nice piece of kit!:major

8. Rikky

Your computer does sound like its running hot,I have a 930 and it rarely goes over 60C and idles around 40C.

What you need to do IMO is start a process of elimination to hone in on the problem,when I suspect over heating I run a stress test and try to crash the computer,if it doesn't crash you've eliminated that problem.

So run a stress test again but leave it,monitor your CPU usage and temp during the tests with task manager to make sure all 4 cores are being utilised at 100%

Here's a couple of other stress tests.

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

http://majorgeeks.com/Burn_In_2008_d5943.html

http://majorgeeks.com/Passmark_BurnInTest_Professional_d324.html

I like Passmarks burn in but its only a 30 day trial.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  9. MrBloody369

MrBloody369 Private E-2

ran that second one(2008 burn) for all most a full day (witch my boss loves me alote right now because of it ^^)

didn't hit any temp over 71c

one thing I have noticed and kind bugs me is OCCT V3.1.0
    keeps fluxing
    CPU Frequency (2785.5~2816.4) Org 2666.0
    Bus Frequency (132.4~133.3) Org 133
    CPU Overclock % (2%~7.5%)
    Bus Overclock % (-0.4~0.2%)
    *one mental note this system is not over clocked at all(This is my main work @ home pc) a;; settings are @ default

10. augiedoggie

Don't worry about that at all man. The 920 is a 2.66GHz CPU and nothing seems to be out of spec, maybe you have Turbo Boost turned on in the BIOS? That gives one 2.93GHz for one core when needed. OCCT would surely enable that function.

11. Rikky

Sounds like your CPU is fine,are you using your SSD as your OS drive?I hope so :-D But while your testing disconnect your other drives,I'd also remove the sound card.

Run Benchmarks on your OS drive to check it's within spec,check both read write speed and seek time,I use Sandra lite.

http://majorgeeks.com/SiSoftware_Sandra_Lite_d92.html

If you would like to run more diagnostic tests download the software from the manufacturer of your OS drive,they usually have specific custom software for health diagnostic.

Also run Sandra's memory bandwidth tests to check your memory is within spec.:)

12. MrBloody369

MrBloody369 Private E-2

Well I broke down and did a repair on the OS since i could not figure out whats going on with this, but I think I know part of the problem is

1. had a ter hhd go bad on me 3 mth's ago which I store all programs, game software on different drive then the OS(and posably some thing conflicting in registry causing these issue's)

2. When I Finaly got this sytem put to geather(when the I7 first came out) with every thing in it I was so tired when installing all the software/programs I installed the dam green genie software(didn't want to) it power soft ware that make the system use less power when barley in use.. but seams all delays are due to this since I have led lights 1 for each of my power phases for the pcu and every time their is a hicup their fluxing...

With out trying doing a fresh install of an OS I cant be sure if @2 is the reason.. So a buddy of mine is going to hook me up with windows 7 64 bit and going to do fresh install on ether the 60gig sdd I have or the new sata-6 drive i have...

13. Rikky

My next reply was actually gonna be check you don't have green genie software installed rolleyes :-D

Oh well glad you found the problem:)

14. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

12 gigs with a virtual machine setup isn't too much, if thats the route you end up going. I have a mac pro, with 10 gigs at work im using for final cut pro editing for some dvd production we are gonna be doing, its very nice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds