Updating problems (Non-malware) Vista 32-bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by Foxfax, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Foxfax

Foxfax Private E-2

Unable to update various things around my computer. About a month ago, my computer caught and Avast killed a nasty-looking virus, but not before it started doing things (I caught it on a Full Scan, then got the residuals on a Boot Scan). Since then my computer's been getting worse. I have been on the Malware forums, but they can't find anything (and they're pretty damn thorough) so it must be residual damage done in the attack.

Problem: Unable to update Windows, Steam, GameStop, WoT or any drivers, even manually. Games in Steam and GameStop can update. I am able to install things, but not update them once installed.

Part of me thinks it's a registry damage/corruption problem, but CCleaner comes up empty of everything bar Mechwarrior 4 (which it hates for some reason).

Anyone had similar problem and/or can help identify and rectify this?

2. Foxfax

Foxfax Private E-2

As an aside, tried to run Uniblue's Driver Scanner and the installer said something was wrong with my Hosts file. I am but a poor noob, I know not of such wizardry!

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Is that exactly what it said, or was it something more specific?

The installer may have tried to download something, but was prevented of doing so by an entry in the hosts file.

4. Foxfax

Foxfax Private E-2

It comes up with a Chinese or perhaps Japanese character error box (there's kanji characters at the top with an English "r" after them) stating "There is a problem with your hosts file. Please contact Uniblue customer support for help with fixing this issue." There's also the usual OK button.

EDIT: I'm DLing HostsXpert to reset my Hosts file back to normal. Apparently I did this about three years ago and it worked (found an oooold file of mine labeled "Help!!!!" which had MajorGeeks Malware removal tips in it).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  5. Foxfax

Foxfax Private E-2

Thee HostsXpert! Eet does notheeng!

I've checked back on my MS Update History and apparently, I've not had an update since 20/05/2012. :eek

This makes me afraid for my poor computer, especially since I can't find a System Restore for before yesterday, and I haven't been deleting them.

Help!!! :crybaby

6. Foxfax

Foxfax Private E-2

Might, might, have fixed this using a winsock reset from the command line.

Fingers crossed.

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Keep us posted if the problem recurs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds