Upgrade and old Computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryalena, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Ryalena

Ryalena Private E-2

Hi, recently my laptop has died and I am left without a computer for school/gaming.

I dug up a computer I had used a few years ago and want to use it until I can afford to get something better. This thing is from 2004 so its semi ancient but should suffice until the summer. For the time being I want to give it a few upgrade so I can use it for more then just school work.

The product specs are here.

Basically I want to upgrade the ram to 2Gigs and give it a decent video card.

Looking on the Motherboard information it tells me It can take:
    • Two 184-pin DDR DIMM
    • Maximum memory size is up to 2GB, 1GB per slot.

I'm not positive, but I did a little research and was wondering if I could use this? If not what type of memory should I be getting?

Secondly I don't have the slightest clue what kind of video card I can upgrade too. I'm completely lost.

Thanks for any input/help with this.

Ryan

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Where did you get the maximum memory of 2GB for your computer? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...701&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=431081&lang=en says the max is 1GB (2 x 512MB). However, http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario SR1210NX says 2GB, and crucial.com is pretty reliable in their information, so you're probably safe in getting 2GB, although conflicting info causes slight doubt here.

I presume you have Win XP in that computer. If this is a short-term situation, why go up to 2GB of RAM? I run Win XP with 512MB, so I view even 1GB as a high amount for Win XP. If you're still using the original amount of memory, you only have 256MB per the above link. Seems to me you could just add another 256MB module, for a total of 512MB.

Regarding video upgrade, you're limited here, since that computer has no AGP slot. You only option for an add-on card is a PCI video card.

3. Ryalena

Ryalena Private E-2

Thanks a lot for the help. I always assumed bigger was better so I just figured go for the max when it came to memory. I found some cheap memory and a cheap video card that suits my needs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds