Upgrade CPU AMD 5400+ to 6400+ Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jwill58, Apr 16, 2008.

1. jwill58

jwill58 Private E-2

I just upgraded my CPU from an A64 5400+ up to a 6400+ Black Edition. The problem (is this a problem) is where the Welcome page (Vista Home Premium) lists the details-it says :processor 3.2ghz unknown processor. Before with the old 5400+ , well the processor was recognized....it was listed with the proper name...AMD A64 5400+ @ 2.8ghz. I know this isnt a big thing but Im curious if maybe I messed up...skipped something ? Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ,
    jwill58

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks. I'm no Vista expert, but I'm thinking it's just the fact that Vista doesn't have the 'spec sheet' for that particular CPU. It won't effect performance, so it's like you said, it isn't a big deal. There may be an update from Microsoft that will address the issue so check there and check the optional hardware updates also. Have you installed the AMD drivers? Like for Cool-N-Quiet? There's also an AMD CPU optimizer and stability driver but I'm not 100% sure if it's for Vista or all AMD chips. I have it installed on my PC (I downloaded it from my motherboard maker) and it hasn't improved stability or performance (I had no performance or stability issues to start with) but it has lowered the CPU temp by an average of 10c...

3. jwill58

jwill58 Private E-2

Hey Thanks ! Im almost ashamed to say I built this rig all on my own, I just dont remember exactly what I did in relation to the installation of my CPU the first time around. I have recently learned that AMD's Dual Core Optimizer isnt for Vista. Some say Vista does the same thing DCO does, and maybe thats why the two dont work so well together. I didnt really see any "drivers" specificly for my 6400+ CPU. Are you referring to all the software on their download page ? Like the cool & quiet app ? That sounds like something I could use....my new CPU runs around 46C at idle. When I start it up I go straight to BIOS and its running 32C so it seems like 46C isnt all that hot. Then I read where someone says if your CPU is at 48C its way too hot and something is wrong. Im going to try Cool & Quiet to see if that helps. Anybody else have any ideas , I would love to hear them !
    Thanks so much,
    jwill58

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

46c at idle isn't too hot; it's warm, but nothing to worry about. My 5400+ X2 was running at 52c at idle which is too warm, but under a high load it only went up to 55c (still warm, but not bad for a hardcore gaming session). After installing Cool-n-Quiet, my idle temp dropped about 10c; it's now at about 42-44c. Under a load it's about 52-55. So not much changed when running under a full load, but at idle (which is where the PC is 85% of the time) the temp has really dropped, and that will prolong the life of the CPU. Some motherboards have a dual core 'optimizer' that's for added stability. I never had any stability problems before, but I installed it anyway just to be thorough. Both the Cool-n-Quiet and the stability software should be available from your motherboard manufacturer.

5. jwill58

jwill58 Private E-2

I reapplied my Artic Silver and installed some software from MSI and now my idle temps for CPU are 40C......but after about 45 minutes of FARCRY with all settings maxed out....well the temps rose to 65C ! However, as soon as I quit the game , the CPU temp diminished rapidly, reaching 43C within 2 to 3 minutes. I have made a decision to re-apply once more using the new Artic Silver ceramic based thermal compound. Maybe Im not careful enough when I install the fan/heatsink ? Its kind of difficult to line up those screws without moving the fan around. One more thing....my Device Manager still has my old 5400+ CPU lister under the "Processor" heading. On the Welcome Page my new CPU is properly recognized now....just not in the Device Manager!
    Thanks again
    jwill58

PS...I havent had any stability issues so far, only the high temp readings....and if I didnt look for them , I wouldnt even know they existed !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds