upgrade?/downgrade!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wadeh917, Jun 7, 2004.

1. wadeh917

wadeh917 Private E-2

Hi y'all. Here's a problem I hope someone can help me with.

I upgraded my comp from 400Mhz Celeron, 160M PC100 RAM, 4M vid card, 20G HDD to Soyo Dragon KT600 mobo w/Athlon XP 2400+ cpu, 256M PC2700 RAM, Radeon 7500 AGP vid card, and added a 120G HDD as slave drive.

Problem is, now it runs even slower than it did before. For example, it takes 25 seconds to add a bookmark to "favorites" (no exaggeration, I timed it) or "refresh" a closed window off the screen.

I need help with this. I'm not a newbie but I'm no geek either...

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

What OS?
    did you do a clean install?

3. wadeh917

wadeh917 Private E-2

I'm running win98 SE and did a full format and clean install...

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

have you updated all patches.. scanned for spyware etc.?

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Have you installed the latest chipset and video drivers?

6. wadeh917

wadeh917 Private E-2

The drivers are the latest releases, but the patches are not. I'm getting them now. There is no spyware.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

I had a similar problem when I built my computer. It turned out the problem was with the newest nVidia chipset drivers. You might want to try a couple different versions.

8. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

you'll need the 4-in-1 drivers from Via, get them here, the drivers windows98 supplies don't fully support the chipset you're using (Via KT600), make sure you have those drivers updated, also, you did make sure that your hdd's are both on the same IDE ribbon and the cd/dvd drives on their own ribbon?

9. wadeh917

wadeh917 Private E-2

I got the latest 4 in 1 drivers from Via and took care of the latest Windows patches problem. The system still "hangs" for a few seconds but things are better in that department. However, when I click on a link (like the www.viaarena.com ) in the previous post, nothing happens. I can copy the shortcut and paste into the address field in my browser and it works fine.

Oh almost forgot, the both HDD's are on the same cable with the 20G set as master (end of cable) and 120G as slave (in the middle of cable) into the IDE1 port. The cd-rw is on a separate cable in the IDE2.

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

go to start..run. and type each one of this in seperately followed by hitting ENTER. You should recieve a "....succeeded" message after each one is registered. Do one at a time and test the link to viaarena from the post above.

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

11. wadeh917

wadeh917 Private E-2

all of them except one resulted in a "...succeeded". This one didn't...

Attached Files:

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

have you since tried the link to see if it opened?

13. wadeh917

wadeh917 Private E-2

Ooops, I forgot to add that part. :eek: The links do open now. Thanks for the help. You have saved me much stress.

What effect will the previously mentioned problem with the .dll file have on my computer?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds