Upgrade hardrive to 2TB - compatability issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gaterader, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Gaterader

Gaterader Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 that was given to me as a gift by my company in 2006. I use it to surf the web and make inquiries, I'm on it now. I also have a Dell Inspiron 580ie3 that I use for my digital productions that I just bought. I am not happy with the program I have in it and would like to upgrade my 4700's capacity by replacing the 80GB hard drive with a 2TB hard drive. I have a WD800JD-23JNA1 currently and am looking to replace it with a WD20EADS 2TB SATA HARD DRIVE GREEN, they apprear to be compatable but I don't really know what to look for other than they both hook up by SATA and the both use 5VDC - 0.45A and 12VDC - 0.50A power. Is there any other compatability issues I need to look for or am I good to buy and exchange units.:confused

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

What do you mean by 'program'? Which one? Is there room in there to add a second drive? As to the drive itself, I got the green but had to RMA it after a week as it had died.

3. Gaterader

Gaterader Private E-2

I have been using ulead video editor 8.0 on my old computer that died, I have corel video studio pro 3X on my Dell 580ie3, I like my ulead much better. My 4700 is 32 bit and my Ispiron is 64 bit, so the ulead program will not work on my Inspiron which also used Windows 7 and not XP. I suppose I could put a second hard drive on as a slave on my 4700, but my question still is: Is it compatable?

4. augiedoggie

Yes, the drive is compatible as the 4700 is SATA. If you haven't already, I'd increase your RAM to at least 1GB.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. Gaterader

Gaterader Private E-2

I have already boosted my ram to 3GB on the 4700, and I'm going to go ahead and see if I can find another 2TB that isn't the green. Thank You, preciate:wave

6. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi , you must replace the hdd with a new one wd black scorpio which is better than green !! :cool

7. Gaterader

Gaterader Private E-2

I'll look into that unit, thanks.

8. MainDeity

MainDeity Private E-2

The Scorpio (black) series is designed for laptops/notebooks. The green series is designed for desktops. I've never tried to place a 2.5" HDD inside a 3.5" bay so can't say that it'll work or not.

And IMO Seagate has been more reliable then Western Digital.

9. augiedoggie

Oh, it'll work just fine in a desktop, need a caddy adapter though.

As to Seagate vs WD vs anyone else, we need a person from Quality Control in a plant to be able to answer that question as the situation stands today. What's their reject rate?

Back in '86, QC deemed that a batch of 1000 Seagate drives was bad. Management was under pressure to ship machines and of course the proverbial 'crap hit the fan' scenario followed.LOL

These days, the technology has been refined to the point of near 0 failure, at least on delivery. Whatever I, or anyone else says that is not in the industry has only one post amongst a million satisfied customers. Mind you, one post can hurt someone real bad.

10. Gaterader

Gaterader Private E-2

I've researched replies on pro's vs cons on the green and so far the pro's are ahead. I'm going to go ahead with the green and see what happens, I don't like having to micky mouse add ons, I've had zero problems with the Western Digitals in either of my Dells.;)

11. augiedoggie

Well, I just resuscitated my Green which didn't need any help in the first place, bad cable.:-D Do change the power profile if you wish, to keep it active and therefore not green anymore, unless you don't mind the slight delays that are created by the disk spinning up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds