Upgrade to Quad Core (AMD)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yamatosoul, Feb 6, 2009.

1. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

I am a complete novice and would like to ask for some advice concerning upgrading my Dual Core AMD to Quad Core:

1) I'm considering AMD Phenom 9850 or 9750 - would either work with my set
    up?

2) Would my 500W power supply be sufficient for a 125W CPU?

3) Should I get one that comes with a cooling device or can I just use what I
    have now?

4) Do I need to buy anything else?

5) What exactly do I do to swap out the CPU (I definitely need help on this
    one)?

I would appreciate any good advice. Thank you.

Vista Home Premium 64 (SP1); AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+; Gigabyte MA-790XDS4; Sapphire Radeon HD3870; Western Digital Caviar SE 500GB; OCZ 4GB ; 500W PS

2. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

Don't bother with a Phenom unless it's a Phenom II they are... ok.

I am a foolish AMD follower, but after getting a Phenom 9750 2.4GHz I am going to the Intel camp. Basically the perfornace differance between the AMD Athlon 6000+ 3.0GHz Dual core is nothing that I have noticed. I suggest the 6000+ if you must stay AMD, it was a great chip for me.

As far as support from your mobo I cannot find any tech specs of it so I cannot tell you if you can install a 6000+ dual core on that mobo.

You get a heat sink and fan with most CPU's, i've never had one without one. Once we have sorted out the CPU you need & mobo :p

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds