Upgraded Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ekattan, Sep 26, 2004.

1. ekattan

ekattan Private E-2

I just upgraded my PC form a AMD XP 2000 to a AMD XP 2800. I have a Asus A7V333 Mothebroard. The only problem is when I look at my system information it says I'm using a AMD XP 2000, 1261 MHZ. Windows XP recognizes that a new hardware was found but when I try to install the drivers automatically it can't find them. How can I get my computer to recognize the correct processor which is now installed?

2. Tater

Tater Tot

3. ekattan

ekattan Private E-2

I made a mistake and forgot to change my FSB setting. What should it be 133 or 333 for a 2800+? I'm using a A7V333 motherboard. How do I access my BIOS settings?

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

If its a 333FSB processor (which I expect it is) you want to be running at 166. 133 is for 266FSB processors.

You can access your BIOS setup by tapping DEL while booting up, or F2.

5. ekattan

ekattan Private E-2

I have entered my BIOS settings but in the advanced options I get to choose between two CPU Speeds 1260 and 1660 MHZ i beleive they are. But I acnnot find the Front Side BUS speed?? Is it the CPU frequency??

6. ekattan

ekattan Private E-2

I can olny change my CPU speed between two choices 1250 MhZ, 100/33 CPU frequency, and 1667 MHz, 133/33 CPU Frequency. How could I change my FSB to 333? Once again I have a Athlon XP 2800+ and a ASUS A7V333 motehrboard.

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You dont need to change the FSB to 333. You need to have it set at 166 for that CPU.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? perhaps the auto-config settings from the previous CPU have not been wiped (those are standard settings for a XP 2000+).

Once you have it running at the correct speed, Windows should install the "drivers" fine (not that you need them...)

8. ekattan

ekattan Private E-2

Is the FSB the CPU frequency? I chnaged the CPU speed to manual and then changed the CPU frequency to 166 but after start up windows had several problems so I have it at 133 Frequency and 1667 CPU speed. I cannot find any option mentioning FSB?

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Hmmm..... are you sure you did actually put the 2600 in there? :p sorry, but it really does sound like you've got a 2000 in there.

the FSB is a multiple of the CPU frequency. i.e. your CPU FSB is 333(.3333), which is double 166(.6666666). If the FSB were 266, as in the 2000+, it would be 133. etc.

What is your multipler set at?

Is the heatsink/fan installed correctly?

10. ekattan

ekattan Private E-2

My CPU is a 2800 and not a 2600, and my multiplier isn't set at anything. What should it be set at?

11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ugh, yes... sorry, typo.

What do you mean it isnt set at anything? :/ *confused*

CPU frequency * mutliplier = CPU Speed.

Right now, your mutliplier will be at 12.5.

Again, have you reset your CMOS? You can do this by putting a jumper next to the battery in place for about 30 seconds while the machine is turned off, check your manual on how to do it for your specific board.

12. ekattan

ekattan Private E-2

Sorry I got confused, your right my multiplier is at 12.5. No I haven't reset the CMOS. What does this actually do? I changed my processor yesterday ad my BIOS prompted me the CPU speed but I only get two options, although I can set it manually like I did I when you said to change it to 166 but my system became unstable. I will check my manual on how to reset my CMOS on my motherboard. Thank you so mush for your input.

13. ekattan

ekattan Private E-2

I have reset my CMOS battery and set my frequency to 166 but my system became unstable. The only thing left I beleive is my BIOS update. I have checked on the ASUS website and the supported version of BIOS for a 2800 Athlon XP is version 1.02. ON my mother board it says version 1.02 but on my system information in windows it says version 1.01. I want to update it anyway but I have no floppy I have a floppy usb drive but don't know if it wil work, anyway I have no floppy disks. How can I update my BIOS without using a floppy drive?

14. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Doesn't look like there is a "within windows" BIOS update tool. I'd go and borrow a floppy drive from somewhere for a while while you flash the bios.

And the BIOS version isnt the same as the board chip revision, so I'd update to version 1.02.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds