Upgraded to XP from 2000 and internet no longer works

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bezoona1, Oct 16, 2008.

1. bezoona1

bezoona1 Private E-2

I upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP finally, and while the internet was working fine on the machine before, it is not working any more. The connection itself is fine, as it works on my laptop, but I can't seem to find help on the problems. There is nothing installed on the HD yet other than Office. I formatted the drive and then installed XP.

Any help or pointers in the right direction are most appreciated.

Thanks,

b

2. bezoona1

bezoona1 Private E-2

I can't seem to edit my post! But I am now thinking it has something to do with the drivers. I am trying to see if reinstalling them will work.

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

right click on My Computer and select properties. go to the hardware tab and click on device manager. do you have a network adapter icon? does it have a red "x"? If you have no network adapter or it has a red "X" then you probably do not have the driver loaded for the device.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You need to supply a deal more information.

How are you connecting?

USB modem, dialup, ethernet, cable?

When you have told us these details someone will be able to advise the correct settings.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You will have to use a different computer...go to your computer manufacturers web site and download the drivers for your nic card....probably (?) a Intel Pro/100 driver.
    Save it to disc or flash drive and then move it to your 2000 machine....this is a typical issue with going from w2k to xp. :(

6. bezoona1

bezoona1 Private E-2

Thank you guys, that's just what it was (the drivers weren't working) I did what TimW suggested and its working perfectly now! I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it :p

Thank you again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds