Upgradeing Processor and Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doomsayer, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

Let me give the specs of my computer before I get into this.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer Gateway
    System Model W3653
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E1200 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date 945GCT-M3 V1.10, 12/24/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 1.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 426 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 990 MB

Now then, in order to keep up with bare essentials with products of the new age, I need to give this guy some new bones so to speak.

I need to upgrade the memory/RAM to 2 gigs and I need to upgrade the processor to a minimum of 2.0 GHz.

I need some help with what I can install into this computer, I am confident with mild computer skills (I can install ram, video cards, power supply, cd/dvd) but I have no skills related to the installation of processors. If anyone could help me with some links to available products compatible with my model computer please do. I'm not having very good luck.

I can afford to spend about 200 maybe 300, so if there is a range I'm more keen to go for the cheapest :p but whatever is recommended would be nice.

(to put it simple I can't really take this baby and install nitrous into it ;])

If there is anything that needs to be stated that I have not please just ask and I will answer, if anyone can help it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

You MAY be able to go as high as 2.4GHz (E-3200) Celeron CPU. Can be found NEW on eBay for $49.49 with free shipping.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything beyond adding a 1GB stick of memory(max 2GB on your board) because this is a true budget board, go to Crucial.com and they'll analyze the machine, shouldn't be more than $50.

This shows that you could install a Pentium dual core E2180 if you can find it anymore.

All in all, because you have onboard video using a good bit of your Ram, THIS WOULD BE THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE(sorry for caps:-o) upgrade for you.

After all that being said, what is the machine basically being used for?

EDIT: I see hrlow found a better specced proc but the the memory comments stand.

4. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

gah talk about take forever to get a reply to you :p my router went down :O i thought a dog had chewed my line outside again :p

The computer needs the min spec of 2GHz processor and 2gig ram for simple gaming. although to be honest I'd like it to have the 64 bit version of windows 7 but i'm content with my 32 bit current :p

mainly it's for a game upgrade but I also know there are a few programs that it might help out with in the future (like the extended manga pro 4)

5. augiedoggie

Ouch @ minimum specs! Usually min. specs mean min. game settings too. I hope I'm wrong in this case. You also have an option to add a PCI-E graphics card too if yours is onboard, that'll help with releasing the memory. I just hope your power supply is up to it.

6. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

I know it can hold 2 gig ram (i have a link to the ones they are about 79 bucks a pop not bad but not grand) its mainly the processor i need to find one that will work.

7. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

2 GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667 MHz Dimm Memory - 240-Pin

http://www.skyline-eng.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6207

i talked with support on emachines briefly before my connection was terminated and this is what he gave me for compatable ram.

he also said that 2gigs ram was the max it could take (it has two 512's to make 1 gig) so my brother (is going to inherit this computer :p) would like to know what it would do if it were to have two 2 gigs in it, i figured it probablly wouldn't read one of em. but then again I don't know.

8. augiedoggie

Well, you can get a pair of these and save $40 plus $3 shipping.

9. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

i found this one and I figure I'll ask you if it might be a better investment :) I'm unsure if it would work though..

if not then I'll do what you've got there :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/DDR2-2GB-2x1GB-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c54cba806

also augie, whats your stance on the processor that Hrlow2 posted, think it would work? (not meaning to second guess either one of you but if you both recommend it then I'd feel a bit more comfortable with it)

10. augiedoggie

Look back up as I had changed the link. No, SODIMM's are for laptops and they won't work for you, you need SDRAM.

11. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model F2-5300PHU1-1GBNT two of those it is then :)

and thanks >.< i didn't know that but now I do :) I don't have as much time as I used to for tinkering (aside from that fact i just now bought a used computer online that meets the min specs that I need http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320559183106&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT , I'll need to get a better graphics card for it though I'm sure, so I'll need to find out a good cheap one (decent) that I can put into it. The current computer I have I bought a $179 NVidea 9600 (superclocked) and it's gonna have to stay in this computer so ill have to find a new one for the new one xD.

I just want to bring this one up to speed perse for my brother. I don't want him feeling like a sad panda :p

12. augiedoggie

Alright then and good luck, just post if you need more help.

13. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

I'd like to know if the processor that was recommended to me could be seconded (meaning do you think it would work too) that way I can let my brother know, also if you clicked the link on the other computer (hopefully there is enough info there for you to determine, but what kind of video card could i throw in there to up it)

14. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

15. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

Well that solves that ^-^ now all I need to know is about the video card possibilities on the computer I linked that I had just purchased (i intend to repartition the whole thing upon arrival and installing windows 7 into it and putting vista on my brothers)

16. augiedoggie

I can't find any details so you'll have to wait until you get it, install and run Everest, it's a 30 day free trial and it should give you most if not all the info we need to know, mobo details are the most important and starting a new thread is best.

Now, have you ever installed or changed a processor before? You'll have to get some Artic Silver 5, available everywhere, some strong isopropyl alcohol %70+ and a microfibre cloth to clean both the CPU and heatsink until shiny, then add a small bead of the goop, about the size of a long grain of rice, more is not better in this case. Here's a video on installing a brand new CPU but the steps are the same

17. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

ah well once i have it in (probably sometime next week hopefully) i'll get Everest in it (before repartitioning it) then i'll give you guys the goodies on it :)

i've never changed a processor myself however I've watched my father do it (exactly what you've said) and I'll have him show me (he's like you guys heheh) however I will bookmark that video and watch it none the less as (ignorant as i am I do love to learn)

Thank you both very much, you have been very helpful and most kind.

Once i get my new buddy in I'll make a new thread on it's specs for the vid card (and who knows what else haha)

Thanks very much.

Oh, there is one other thing, I'll take a pic of it and upload it so you can understand it better than me just trying to explain it :p

I need a cable to give the video card more power so it can run better.
    (post em in about 5 min, gotta find my camera)

18. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

I need a cable or something to give the video card more power so it can run better, currently I think it's at half power maybe less.
    It needs a power source for these, however I have nowhere to plug em in :I they are both male (three prongs in each) but the run connected in the same base (i'm sure you can see) if not let me know and i'll take more pics.

19. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

oop they didn't go through guess I'll have to photobucket em.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one is a bit blurry but you can see the black portion on the end of the card where they are feeding out.

[​IMG]

I need to clean it :( Guess I'll get me some stuff today at our tiny little shop.

20. augiedoggie

You need a molex(white connectors) to a 6 pin adapter cable which is usually shipped with cards that need it if the power supply doesn't have the 6-pin ones. Make sure you have some 400W of power at least, I'm not sure how much an OC'd 9600GT needs.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

21. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

me either, the pic you sent is exactle what is in the card now (however like i said, i've no place to plug em both in at, I know i've come across one with two females and a male, so i figure I could buy two of those and hook em to the dvd drive (the only place that has a female connector for a male :p) but idk how that would fan out nor where they were or what they were called.

22. augiedoggie

Well, that makes for a measly power supply to have so few connectors. You could likely get some molex gender changers but I'd be more worried about the power supply itself to be able supply the extra power needed as you'll be adding a lot of extra power draw with your upgrades as it is. Is there a label on the PSU(power supply) that gives you wattage and amperage?

23. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

gah @_@ theres a sticker on it allright but it's confusing me, in one area it say output not to exceed 250 watts, then it say in another area the same thing except 110 watts.

-.- it's definitely one of those two.

I need a better one, so that makes me wonder what I CAN go to from there.

24. augiedoggie

OK, that's a 250W PSU @ 110Volts I would think and that would have failed to supply the extra power for your video card(still surprises me that it does work without the 6-pin power:confused) and other goodies. Well there goes another $50 for a PSU.;)

Check this out CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W $50 plus a $20 MIR. I just love the 30A 12V rail, has 10A more than their 450W. I think this should do the trick for ya. Comments from the peanut gallery please.;)

25. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

thankies thankies, :) i'll buy that right now :3 unless theres a better model for slightly more price? :D let me know if there is :)

26. augiedoggie

I don't know what you mean by 'better model'. There sure are stronger PSU's out there but for price/performance and your needs there's not much better IMO. I have a Corsair TX750W and I love it for my monster machine in my sig. You could get an Antec Eartwatts 500W or a Seasonic but there's really no need to.

27. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

sorry better model just meant more power :) i didn't mean to word it wrong :3

I'm currently grouping the ram and the psply together for purchase.

28. augiedoggie

Look, I have a quad processor in my other machine with 4GB RAM overclocked, 3 HDD's and a pair of 9800GT's(also overclocked) on the Antec 500W that I mentioned above and it's been going strong for the last 2 years, you really don't need it. Hey, it's your money.:)

29. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

that is true, I bought the one you mentioned (also got the ram and some of that silver gunk too ;) then just bought the processor hopefully it will all arrive around the same time xD)

30. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

now i just need to know what those cabels are that i need for the card to run its max once the new psply is in.

31. augiedoggie

You won't need to get anything extra, the 6-pin is part of the standard wiring harness, actually you'll have more connectors than you'll know what to do with.:-D

BTW, one thanks is more than enough per thread.;) ...and on this note, I'm hitting the sack.

32. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

:eek: well if thats the case then I should be set! :D

im wondering now if i might need to get it a sound card or something :/ hmmmmm

33. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

Moatherboard spec: P4M800PRO-M
    CPU LGA775 socket for latest Intel Core 2 Duo / Pentium D / Pentium 4 / Celeron D processor
    FSB 1066/800/533 MHz
    Support Hyper-Threading Technology
    CHIPSET VIA® P4M800Pro & VT8237R+
    North Bridge: VIA® P4M800Pro
    South Bridge: VIA® VT8237R Plus
    GRAPHICS Integrated S3 UniChrome Pro 2D/3D Graphics
    Share memory : 64MB
    MEMORY Single-channel DDR memory architecture
    2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM socket support up to 2 GB
    Support DDR400/333 DDR SDRAM or DDR2 533/400 DDR2 SDRAM
    EXPANSION SLOT 1 x AGP 8X slot
    3 x PCI slots
    STORAGE Supported by VIA VT8237R
    Supported by VIA VT8237R Plus
    -- 4 x Ultra DMA133/100/66 devices
    -- 2 x Serial ATA devices
    RAID0 & RAID1 configuration
    AUDIO Realtek ALC655 6-Channel audio CODEC
    Compliant with AC'97 2.3 specification
    LAN VIA® VT6103L 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet PHY
    REAR PANEL I/O 1 x PS/2 keyboard & PS/2 mouse connectors
    1 x Parallel port (LPT1)
    1 x Serial port (COM1)
    1 x VGA port
    4 x USB ports
    1 x RJ45 LAN connector
    1 x Audio port (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in)
    INTERNAL I/O CONNECTORS & HEADERS 1 x 24-pin ATX Power Supply connector
    1 x 4-pin ATX 12V connector
    1 x FDD connector
    2 x IDE connectors
    2 x Serial ATA connectors
    2 x USB 2.0 headers support additional 4 USB Ports
    1 x Buzzer
    1 x IrDA for SIR header
    1 x Front panel switch/LED header
    1 x Front panel audio header
    AUX-in header
    CD in header
    CPUFAN/SYSFAN connectors
    SYSTEM BIOS AMI BIOS with 4Mb Flash ROM
    Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, APM 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI
    Supports ACPI revision 1.0 specification
    FORM FACTOR Micro-ATX Size, 244mm*244mm

I looked on the ebay page where i got the comp and these are specs listed for it, I'd like to get a better power supply.

"THIS IS A NICE, DUAL CORE PC WITH AN INTEL PENTIUM D PROCESSOR @ 2.66GHZ (CAN BE OVERCLOCKED TO 3.6GHZ).

IT HAS 2 FAST SATA 7200RPM DRIVES (A 160GB AND AN 82GB),

IT HAS AN NVIDEA GEFORCE FX 5200 128MB AGP VIDEO CARD WITH DX9 PIXEL AND VERTEX SHADER 2.0.

IT ALSO HAS 2GB OF DDR2 MEMORY.

AND IT HAS A 350 WATT POWER SUPPLY."

sorry for caps copied that from the page, thats what I'm working with, I need to know how "good" the graphics card is in it, I'd also like to know the process to overclock that processor. If the graphics card is sorely outdated then i'd like to know a decent recommendation that would work with whats shown here. Something up to playing games (like APB: All Points Bulliten) or morrowind without shuddering and collapsing haha, something pocket friendly :)

thanks in advance guys, you're wonderful!

34. augiedoggie

You really shouldn't mix two machines or issues in one thread as it lead to confusion.;)
    You currently have an onboard video which is pretty crappy for gaming. Another limiting factor is your video card slot is an AGPx8 which is currently outdated. You'd have to ask a person in gaming as this thread is getting long, no one else is going to read this now unless they've already been here.

35. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

sorry about that. I'll take it's specs to gaming then and ask there :) thanks much for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds