Upgrading AMD CPU and MB / Clock Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by picvjt, Mar 18, 2007.

1. picvjt

picvjt Private E-2

I just upgraded from AMD Athlon XP 1200 to an AMD Athlon XP 3000 AXDA3000DKV4E processor. I am using the processor with an MSI KT880 Delta (MS-7047 ATX MB). The CPU speed is rated 3000 with a real speed of 2100. When running WCPUID (see attached) I only achieve a speed of 1050 MHz. What am I doing wrong - can anyone give me a little coaching. Thanks - vince

Attached Files:

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

You have to go into the motherboard BIOS and change the FSB to 133 (or maybe 166. Try 133 first to avoid damaging anything.). Many MSI boards have jumpers on the board that will need to be changed. You know what? I was thinkin' here... if you're running at 1050mhz, and should be at 2100mhz, that means your FSB is exactly half what it should be. Your screen shot shows your at 100fsb. There's most likely a jumper that needs to be set to 200fsb. Check the manual. You can download it from here: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=600&kind=1

hopperdave2000

So forget all that 133 and 166 crap-ola. You should be at 200, not 100fsb.

3. picvjt

picvjt Private E-2

Is it the system clock frequency of 100.03 on my scress shot - that is the fsb setting? I believe the default setting in the bios is 100MHz, so I just adjust that to 200MHz in my bios?

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yes-Your FSB is now set at 100mhz. (actually 100.03) In your screen shot, 100mhz is the FSB. You need this to be 200mhz. to run at 2100mhz. Most MSI motherboards have jumper on the board for FSB settings. It may be in the BIOS. Re- read my earlier post, download the manual, and find out for sure if it's motherboard jumper or a BIOS setting. Occasionally it's both, on some boards. I ran an MSI KM4AM-V motherboard w/ an Athlon 2200+ for years, and this board had jumpers for the FSB. Please, download and check the manual to avoid any hassles and possible damage to the board.

hopperdave2000

5. picvjt

picvjt Private E-2

Thanks Hopperdave! I looked at the manual and do not see any jumpers to set the fsb; it appears to be all bios. I am heading out of town on business for the day and will give it a try when I get home tonight. Thanks again.

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I looked thru the manual too. You're right, there are no jumpers. The CPU settings info starts on page 57 in Adobe Reader. The manual page is 3-22. It says you can set the FSB as high as 280mhz. You may able to overclock a bit by setting your FSB higher than 200mhz. Just try increasing it by one or two mhz each time and reboot. Be sure to use a CPU utility (like CPU-Z, CrystalCPUID, CBI, WCPUID, whatever) to check your actual clock speeds. Start at 200 to be sure your CPU is running at 2100mhz like it should and increase bit by bit from there. :)

hopperdave2000
    Glad I could help!

7. picvjt

picvjt Private E-2

AMD Running at Speed.jpg Hey Hopperdave, thanks for the help; that's all I needed was a little seasoned advice - thanks again. vince

8. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Hey, no sweat! Glad I could help!!! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds