Upgrading Bluray player suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psco2007, Jan 10, 2014.

1. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I've got the Lg BD 550 that I want to upgrade for 2 reasons: It isn't wifi and will not recognize videos on my comp when connected by USB flash drive.

This is the one that seems to accomplish those goals. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-smar...p?id=1218551144106&skuId=4833529#tab=overview
    Anyone have experience with this model or any suggestions on a better choice?

I was considering going to a PS4, but that will not play bluray discs.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I have this one. It is pretty decent for what it is, and sees frequent firmware updates.

The PS4 can play BD, by the way.

If you are looking for different file format compatibility, I think Sony leads the pace there.

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Thanks for reply,

According to Sony tech support, the PS4 does not play bd discs.

Which one do you have? - no link in your reply.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The LG you linked.

When the PS4 was released in November, it would not play BD out of the box. There was a day one update that enabled it to do so.

5. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

OK, thanks.:)

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No problem. I would check out the Sony players though. I think they support more formats.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Supported filetypes:

3G2, 3GP, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AAC, AC3, ASF, AVC Rec, AVCHD, AVI, FLA, FLAC, GIF, JPEG, M2TS, M4A, M4V, MKA, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG-1 PS, MPEG-4, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS, MPEG4-AVC, MPG, MTS, PCM, PNG, VC-1, WMA, WMV, XVID

9. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I just called Sony again, and this time they said that PS4 will play bds, but will not play videos from a USB flash drive until they come out with more updates and that won't be until at least April.

So unless I can find something better, I guess I'll just wait.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That stinks. I am really disappointed with the multimedia capabilities in the PS4. Its a downgrade from the PS3, which I am holding onto with dear life.

11. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Will the PS3 play videos from a flash drive?
    Do you think I should consider that one?

12. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Sorry, didn't see you posted the formats above.:-o

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you can find a good deal, nothing is better than a PS3 for multimedia.

As for USB, yes, it plays wonderfully from it. There is a trick to it though. When you highlight the USB drive from the dashboard, hit the triangle to display all.

14. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

As long as you don't care about games and downloads, that PS3 12GB system would be ideal (GTA V takes like 6-8GB of HDD space).

Also, PS3 will use external hard drives.

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I might add though...the Sony BD player might be more bang for the buck.

17. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Boy, are you right!

Here's a quote from PC Advisor-

18. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Sorry to bother you - one last question - promise!!

If I purchase the 12gb unit and later on decide I would like a larger hdd,can I switch it out with one of my spare hdds that I have now?

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

20. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Hi Adry,

I see you are answering threads,so I thought I might ask your advice.

I purchased the PS3 ( got it yesterday) the 250 gb package.

Really seems nice ( didn't know you could get online and use a keyboard and mouse.:)

I called for some tech support and they are trying to sell me a 2 year warranty that covers parts,labor and water damage - $49.00.

I never purchase extended warranties, but might this time.

Did you purchase the warranty?

BTW - I saw your revised resume and it looks great and I hope your search ends quickly ( saw you were offered a job, but at a 10K reduction - don't know if you took it and will continue to search anyway, but either way, best of luck.):wave:wave

Maybe you could get that little Ninja of yours to smack some sense into the prospective employers!:-D

21. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

That Oxoxoxo character that was so rude to you, needs to look in the mirror.
    His parenting skills, much like his diplomacy, leave much to be desired.

He's got married children that he said he is still supporting and he gives advice?:puke

I don't think he is even worthy of a response from you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds